3d Printable I/O Backplates?

Anybody working on dimensions? I have cutout dimensions for all audio jacks and most USB combinations, but haven't touched any legacy connectors or anything with video.

I just don't want to waste time working on something somebody else is already working on. Or have somebody waste their time on something I'm working on. Or something like that.

This kinda make me thinking.
Asus with their highend ROG boards come with a io shield attached to the motherboard.
3d printing a custom io shield basicly is sorta kinda the same idea.
The only thing will be how to get it mounted to the board.

Top left two screw holes. One on either side of the io shield. Just need to be aware of proximity to heat producing components and print material because many materials would deform just being left in a hot car.

If you need some test prints done ive got access to PLA and ABS to see the about that it will shrink with the ABS and record the temps if somone can shoot over the model!

@jjackstar1 tell me what kind of motherboard you have and I'll get you a design by next saturday, If anyone has dimensions send it to my protonmail it's [email protected]

Lol backplates are 162 mm wide... most household 3D printers will not have a useful printing surface that allows for pieces larger than 120 to 150 mm.
People who can't afford a large enough 3D printer can afford going to the local metal shop with a USB stick with the backplate template (costs like 11 EUR incl. raw material and VAT).
Why not just a template database compatible for both 3D printing and CNC laser cutting?
Why not just ask manufacturers for those files?

Added tag, also we need a DYI section.

yeah fixed that tag though, from the "do yourself in" tag to the "do it yourself" tag I guess...

1 Like

Far be it from me to troll @wendell , but isn't the technical name for an 'I/O Backplate' a 'RF Shield'?

To serve that function (if it is even really required anymore) the 3D printed backplate would need to be made with a filament / material containing metallic particles. Not too hard. I know they make that stuff.

Here is my alternate idea.
Instead of 3D printing a custom I/O Backplate using plastic, we laser cut our own metal ones.

Step 1. Buy a flatbed laser cutter. It doesn't need much power because the sheet metal is thin.
. . . . . . Heck. Maybe even a knife blade type of cutter might work.

Step 2. Find a source for blank b̶a̶c̶k̶p̶l̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ RF Shields with no holes.

Step 3. Machine a jig to hold the b̶a̶c̶k̶p̶l̶a̶t̶e̶ RF Shield securely to the cutting bed.
. . . . . . Machining is overkill. Just cut up an old case.

Step 4. Modify a CAD program to have cookie cutter holes that can be precisely placed where one needs.
. . . . . . Maybe a database of common layouts to start with that can be modified to suit ones needs.
. . . . . . @w.meri seems to have a handle on that.

I like the idea and 3D printing is much easier and more accessible.
But as a former mechanical engineer, I'm just tossing alternatives at the wall to see what sticks.

Shouldn't be an issue. I've done stuff like this before.

I made an, admittedly poorly measured, 5.25" laptop drive adapter for an HD-DVD laptop drive. So yes.

I've never heard that. Considering you don't even need it I wouldn't put too much effort into that train of thought.

1 Like

Just because you haven't heard of it, that doesn't mean it does not serve a purpose. Of course any PC will work without one. I did my research before I dared to question our fearless leader just a few minutes ago.

An Electrical Engineering forum confirmed the the RF Shield keeps electromagnetic radiation within the case. The EMR can interfere with video signals, WiFi and possibly other stuff but my source did not go into great detail. They basically said "Yeah... it's called an RF Shield not an I/O Shield, and yeah... it's there for reasons."

1 Like
2 Likes

LOL
Please forgive my snarkyness. sorry

I have a Prusa i3 as my printer. Temperamental little beastie, but she gets the job done and has a 210mm³ print area - more than enough for this. Could be interesting. I've no programming experience beyond simple python scripting, so I can't really help with the project itself, but I'll certainly be following it around.

Layer of copper insulation tape on the back should make contact with the case and complete that shielding then.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Well most "decent" cases are fully painted nowdays.
It should be less of an issue.

If I understood what I read correctly,
The issue is there is a big hole in the case emitting electromagnetic radiation right next to where all the chips making the radiation is and where your plugs that can be affected by the EMR interference are.

ehh, the em radiation bit is way, way overstated. foil tape of any kind (alumium for duct work, copper, etc) would be electrically equivalent and a thin/bendy plastic panel with a layer of tape would work fine for most applications. I can't think of a any back panel connector that is not shielded anyway, though. Would have to be a naked usb or naked hdmi cable or something like that Ethernet maybe? But even that is optically isolated and it is a differential signal so no big deal there.

Thank you for weighing in. I agreed with @Zibob earlier on that point.

I'm an old guy using outdated terminology. Because I heard it called an RF Shield I figured there was some RF to be shielded but I stand corrected. I did some verification research before I posted, but I guess those guys didn't know what they were talking about either.

Edit:
I would be proud to know that my small contribution to this collaborative effort of 3D engineering is a piece of tin foil duct tape stuck on the back.

1 Like