3900x Cooling

the 3900x is indeed 2 6core chiplets

2 Likes

I would expect the higher end tr platform to get better chips

I have not seen any info that supports this. It would be very easy to see in RM if the chiplet population was asymmetrical.

Yep read a bit further down I was incorrect. Surprised they change how they did it on TR since they had a 2 chiplet set up already. (not quite the same though since no io chip)

It might just be more economical to do it that way. 6 to 7 cores out of 8 is probably just the sweet spot in fabrication. If you can put 8 core chiplets into higher margin products instead… :wink:

I mean, their yields must be fantastic, they don’t even have quad core Ryzen as pure CPUs.

1 Like

Guessing they probably dont have crazy yields and would rather put good 8 core chiplets in Epyc products. I mean it seems like they cant get enough 8 core chiplets for even the 3950x

Just to add one last thing.

It seems to be that liquid coolers are not performing as well as they should be cause they were always made with single large chips in the centre of the heat spreader in mind.

The 3000 stuff, 3900 in particular, having 3 active chips none of which are under the center of the heat spreader is causing some of what younare seeing. The coolers work fine just not optimal. The downside is there has not been an AIO made yet to take advantage of the Ryzen 3000 layout properly.

Tangent: I wonder how much better an AIO that’s has 3 smaller cold zones over the chiplets would be.

1 Like

You might be right, I also have a noctua nh-d15 and I was experiencing similar issues, although louder when at max cpu usage the noctua coped better on prime 95 small fft’s

1 Like

the corsair AIOs never really performed that well to begin with. Its not surprising they have a hard time keeping up with this chip. I see high 70s with a water block… but I also have a GPU on the same loop.

1 Like

The main reason I changed to the aio is because the noctua made working on the system a nightmare

Check the flatness of the IHS. I lapped my 3800x because it was slightly concave and Wendell had one CPU that was very concave. Don’t remember where he posted a picture of the imprint it did in a cooler…

They certainly have some advantages to them, but to be honest the stock cooler probably does almost as good of a job because of how the heat pipes and the chiplets line up.

2 Likes

If possible try the D15 rotated 90 degrees so the heat pipes line up more. I did the same with my d14 on a 3800x. It’s inaudible up to 60c while full load stays under 70c with only minor noise comparable to an aio pump.

If you’re using a gigabyte board the cpu fan profiles are kinda shit(neurotic ramping up and down) so better off making your own.

Might have to put the gfx card in the second slot but you can also place the first fan on the other side to make room.

Edit you’re using a taichi. Still might be worth it to manually edit the profile.

1 Like

Small side note looks like TR chips might have more than one way to get their cores since epyc does it more than one way

Just a heads up if anyone is interested, changed the fans on the h115i pro over to the noctua A14 iPPC-3000 rpm fans (had to do a curve where the max is 2200 rpm, who would have thought 3000 rpm is mental) and even at the same rpm as the old fans temps are significantly better

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.