3600x vs 3700x vs 3900x

Well on my trip to chicago I managed to get an X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming motherboard for cheaper than the Asus X570-P that I was looking at (openbox deals yo) and I have almost everything I need to build my PC, except CPU. Which is why you’re looking at this thread I guess.

So I’m a little half and half on a 3700X or a 3900X. I want the 12 core because I run a lot of game servers for friends, I do a lot of app builds, and I intend on eventually getting to the point that I just run linux and run Windows VM’s for gaming. But I can’t really decide what CPU I should get.

For note, I threw the 3600X in there as market standard of core and thread count, not as a really desired product. However if someone has a comment on it, feel free to say something.

So what I intend on doing over all is running games, of course, streaming, recording, etc content creation, but also working on code projects to learn stuff, such as creating an android rom and maintaining it. Eventually I’d like to do the VM gaming ordeal and have a similar setup to SomeOrdinaryGamers on youtube, just without the 2080TI (probably have a 5700XT or a 5600XT to be honest paired with the GTX970 I have already). For the moment I would think the 12 core would be the optimal solution for that sorta thing, but I’m still wondering if the 8 core would do the job and let me save 45% of what I’d spend on the 12 core. This is all balancing on hardware sales that I have gotten, so the less I spend the sooner I can buy, but if its worth it to wait I’m totally for it.

Thank you for reading and any responses.

I would likely go for a 3700x / 3800x on that particular board.
A 3900x would also do, if you are not planing to overclock it.
Because the vrm of that board is a littlebit on the weak side.
Still if you run it at stock with a good cooling airflow,
it will likely do okay with a 3900x at stock.

But of course for typical vm´s a 12 core isn’t really needed persee.
For coding large projects or video rendering,
it could be a benefit to have the extra cores and threads doe.
But it kinda depends on what applications you are using and what not.
I mean getting a better gpu with a 3700x / 3800x is defintelly something,
i would consider over just a 3900x.

I have no real desire to overclock. I tried to OC stuff once before, but if its not as easy as doing it in openfirmware, I don’t care to do it.

Whats special about the 3800X? More cache? I’d def take more cache over more cores.

3800X is just better binned with a slightly higher clock out of the box.

It has no point unless they are really close in price. I’ve seen 3800Xs available for ~$10 more than 3700X. At that point you might as well go for it. If it is anymore though just get the 3700X.

Based on what you want to do I’d get a 3900X. They can be had for around $420ish-440 ish rn. They are a steal and it should last you a long time as well as give you a nice performance boost in some of the stuff you’re planning on doing

Hell yeah I mean a 3700X is a huge jump from dual E5462’s XD

Yeah I mean they are all great parts.

The 3700X rn is also only $289. It is really a bargain

My one gripe was I coulda got a 2600 from microcenter and had a pc when I got home, but then when I did get a 37/8/900X, I’d have a useless chip.

Will a 3900X function on my board properly?

You could have gotten other things from microcenter too? They sell other parts?

Yeah it will be fine you just may need a BIOS update

Oh woops

The 2600 there is like 99 bucks was the point

Yeah only problem no bios flashback.
So he needs a 1000 / 2000 series chip to flash the bios.
Or let MC pre flash the bios.

3900x would do okay on that particular board,
as long as you have some decent airflow in the case around the vrm area.
Just don´t tempt to overclock it.

3700x would be a good choice as well currently on sale,
at some parts in the world.
3800x is just a better binned chip, that could potentialy,
clock a little bit higher with the right cooling.
But yeah generally not worth it over a 3700x when the price difference is significant enough.
Although the 3800x comes with a nicer stock cooler.

No its already flashed for Ryzen 3000. Says on the box.

1 Like

Ah then your fine in regards to that.
It’s always a little bit tricky in what they have in stock.
Thats why i always keep noting it for double check. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Personally I would either go 3600(X) for a gaming / casual use rig or 3900X for enthusiasts with higher needs down the road. One of the big advantages over the 8core models is the insane cache. The more you do on that machine at once, the more that comes into play. Same as RAM.

1 Like

Yeah I got some servers recently and one had ddr4 32gb dimms so I’m keeping 4 and selling the rest then later when I havu a faster kit I’ll sell what I kept.

If it’s just for gaming then a 3600x is all you really need.
But for running multiple vm’s or work type workloads like rendering etc,
then a 3900x or 3700x / 3800x would be a benefit.

I would likely go for the golden midway, which is one of the 8 cores,
and a better gpu.

3600 is a budget cpu really. 3900x is clearly the better choice over the 3700x. Places like microcenter have it for 400usd and that is 100 more than the 3700x.

The better gpu is yet to come its just not in my window of opportunity right now.

You will soil your pantties in excitement with going for a 3900x. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thank you fadda

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.