34yo Bricklayer trying to learn electrical engineering for circuit design (halp plees!)

Hey guys,

So a few years ago I was watching a tennis match and a question popped in my head “Is Rafael Nadal running mathematical algorithms (like would be used in ANNs) to calculate the ball velocity/mass/spin and using others to determine how to hold/swing his racket; or is there something else going on here?” After a couple of years of research I felt the most likely scenario is that it is something else; and I’m thinking that that “something else” is “analogue information processing”. Correctly or incorrectly I’m finding myself surrounded by analogue computation books (from 40+ years ago), electrical components I’ve been ordering online and other electronics stuff.

I sorta started-out with graduate level circuit design books, which - ok cool, I’ve learned a lot but you can only learn so much reading graduate level material without knowing a damn thing about the stuff that would be taught in the first 4+ years of that student’s education. I imagine a lot of the people on here have messed around with arduinos and creating their own circuit boards for all kinds of things. I’m hoping I can find someone here that can spin me around, point me in the right direction towards some more beginner-level material. I figure I’m probably a few years (at the least) away from being able to build some neat analogue computers but that will remain perpetually a few years away unless I can get some fundamentals of electrical engineering.

So where do I go? Are there online resources? Yes, I can use Google but I can’t know how valid a course/book (whatever) is with nearly no education in the subject. If you were to recommend some course material to a beginner self-taught electronics student interested in circuit design (particularly analogue but that largely seems dead - hence the 40 year old books) what would it be? How in general should I approach this?

Peace and love
<3

1 Like

So there’s CodeNMore’s youtube series. It’s very entry level and may be below what you’re looking for, but it might also be a good jumping off point.

It’s what I used to get up to speed on circuitry, but if I understand you correctly, you’re looking for more “traditional” educational resources.

I’m not really versed in the field, so I can’t be of much more help. :confused:

4 Likes

You are a fascinating person.

That is all.

3 Likes

TLDR;
If you want the electrical engineering approach, and are happy with more text-book style reading, I would suggest Malvino’s Electronic Principles. That said, you would probably benefit from brushing up on your calculus and finding a 100 level physics text and reading up on basics of charge and current, if you have not already. There are also probably some more hands on texts for electrical technician programs, but I am not familiar so can not make an informed recommendation.

Long answer;
Are you trying to answer your original question of “How a pro athlete observes, calculates, responds so quickly”? Or have you moved on from the original question and just focused on learning circuit design?

If you want to learn about modeling cognitive processes, I would steer you away from circuit design, and instead suggest books on: learning and cognitive sciences, general AI, scientific computing, data mining. This would put you much more into the computer science/software realm than electrical engineering/circuit design.

The other question is: are you trying to learn to be able to design something yourself or are you just interested in understanding the concept? sgtawesomesauce suggestion is much more hands on, even if you want to keep reading more advanced work, it is always good to get some practical experience, applying the concepts you have read about.

Regardless of which way you will probably benefit from brushing up on some calculus, having a strong understanding of differentials and integration, will help a lot. Then before going back to grad level reading I would suggest some entry level programming or circuit design; reading and practice. Lastly, if you do end up moving back towards cognitive sciences, there are a lot of books (non- text-book/publications) that might be a lot more approachable if you want to start with more of a high level overview to the concepts.

And I return to the TLDR, if you are set on learning circuit design and you want to keep reading text books, Malvino’s is a gold standard of a text book for 1st/2nd year electrical engineering.

3 Likes

Thank you! This is perfect! xD

1 Like

I highly recommend this Art of Electronics and the accompanying lab book.

These are amazon links, so keep in mind if you go to a level1techs affiliate link first, they should get cross credit for a referral which tosses a few pennies in their pockets.

Here is their affiliate link (Just click it before you buy the amazon stuff):

lab course:

https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Art-Electronics-Hands-Course/dp/0521177235/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3CXM2F70CABB9&keywords=art+of+electronics&qid=1581989351&sprefix=art+of+electron%2Caps%2C239&sr=8-4

main book:

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Electronics-Paul-Horowitz/dp/0521809266/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3CXM2F70CABB9&keywords=art+of+electronics&qid=1581989374&sprefix=art+of+electron%2Caps%2C239&sr=8-2

You can go to google and search for a parts list for the lab course and get everything you need pretty easily. I highly recommend a decent oscilloscope. A Rigol DS1054Z is one of the best cheap beginner scopes (It is what I have).

Finally, here are 2 youtube channels I HIGHLY recommend you look at:

Mr. Carlson’s Lab

EEVblog (Dave Jones):

2 Likes

TLDR;
If you want the electrical engineering approach, and are happy with more text-book style reading, I would suggest Malvino’s Electronic Principles. That said, you would probably benefit from brushing up on your calculus and finding a 100 level physics text and reading up on basics of charge and current, if you have not already. There are also probably some more hands on texts for electrical technician programs, but I am not familiar so can not make an informed recommendation.

Long answer;
Are you trying to answer your original question of “How a pro athlete observes, calculates, responds so quickly”? Or have you moved on from the original question and just focused on learning circuit design?

If you want to learn about modeling cognitive processes, I would steer you away from circuit design, and instead suggest books on: learning and cognitive sciences, general AI, scientific computing, data mining. This would put you much more into the computer science/software realm than electrical engineering/circuit design.

The other question is: are you trying to learn to be able to design something yourself or are you just interested in understanding the concept? sgtawesomesauce suggestion is much more hands on, even if you want to keep reading more advanced work, it is always good to get some practical experience, applying the concepts you have read about.

Regardless of which way you will probably benefit from brushing up on some calculus, having a strong understanding of differentials and integration, will help a lot. Then before going back to grad level reading I would suggest some entry level programming or circuit design; reading and practice. Lastly, if you do end up moving back towards cognitive sciences, there are a lot of books (non- text-book/publications) that might be a lot more approachable if you want to start with more of a high level overview to the concepts.

And I return to the TLDR, if you are set on learning circuit design and you want to keep reading text books, Malvino’s is a gold standard of a text book for 1st/2nd year electrical engineering.

Awesomesauce’s resource seems like a good place for me to go; however I’m likely to order the textbook you recommended as well.

As for the sports thing, no - i’m not interested in sports. It became a question of uhh, biological cognition and consciousness fairly rapidly.

I forget how I initially came to the conclusion that I found it unlikely that there were algorithms approximating what we have in ANNs, but I did eventually come to that conclusion. Not long afterwards I became familiar with Penrose’s consciousnesses work and our shared belief that there is some “non mathematical processing” going on (the nomenclature doesn’t exist yet and these words are clumsy for everyone). Most recently I heard Jim Keller say that “A lot of people think the human brain is analogue so I can’t compare it to a CPU”.

I’m not very interested in traditional AI as I just don’t think bipolar/ternary (or any other finite computation method) will crack consciousness. The eventual goal (maybe 5 years from now if I’m lucky) is to build an electronic “insect” that interacts with its environment using analogue computation (instead of binary bitstreams running on bipolar transistors) and just see where I end up. My working theory (which isn’t worth much - Im a bricklayer) is that consciousness is a secondary layer (layer 2) that sits atop the analogue computational system (layer 1) interacting with the environment that interacts with and analyzes layer 1.

I mean - I’m almost certainly wrong and going into an experiment with a confirmation bias is cough, shall we say less than ideal? But its fucking fun and I’ll enjoy building and understanding circuitry better so whats the harm anyway, yuno?

1 Like

I highly recommend this Art of Electronics and the accompanying lab book.

I’ll order it on payday. Thanks so much!

1 Like

glad to hear you’re going to get the books!

Here is an interview with one of the authors that should explain the books goals:

1 Like

Glad I could help!

Go here

Have fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes