32" too much for 1080p?

TL;DR Can’t decide between 27 or 32 both same specs 1080p, 165hz, IPS displays. I have a 3070 and I can’t afford 1440p. HELP!

So long story not so short been using 40" 4k tv for the last 3 years never had anything higher then 60hz… TV broke and now instead of buying new tv looking into getting into the 100+ hz market for the first time.

I have a 3070, I do game a lot but also like to watch movies, anime, youtube etc on my computer… so with that in mind I’ve already decided on IPS panel. Thing is I cannot afford 1440p even less 4k that has higher then 60hz and for that might as well go back to tv… I found two monitors within my budget both different brands but with same specs 1080p, 165hz, 1ms, IPS, only difference is that one is 27 and the other 32. My 3070 can reach easy on any game the amount of fps needed for that amount of hz and I honestly don’t mind go back to 1080p but after doing so much research I still can’t find the solution… some say 27 is way too big for 1080p and others that 32 is not a big deal u can still enjoy it just fine and that u have to be way too picky to even complain about it.

SO if u read all that first thanks so much for taking the time for it and what do you think? can you help me decide please? (I’m typing on a 13" cintiq atm and this is SO small… I srly need to get new screen by tomorrow no matter what) THANKS!

I guess it all depends on your distance to the monitor. At about 2 feet away from the monitor, 1080p at 27” monitor feels a bit too big for gaming, especially for MOBAs, but it feels nice for FPS or for watching movies, though.

BTW, your 3070 may actually be a bit overkill for modern AAA gaming right now. You probably could target 1440p60 gaming. Save moar moneyz

2 Likes

Yeah I was thinking on that… in fact initially I was going to buy a 32" 1440p 75hz (it was slightly expensier but within my budget) but all my online friends bug me about how impressive and so much better higher 144hz+ are… like I said I’ve never did higher then 60 so I wouldn’t know.

I also have a good cpu i7 10700k but STILL would bottleneck the sh!tout of my 3070 at 1080p so… there’s also that.

Thanks for the advice!

As someone who have both 1440p and 1080p monitors - go for 1440p 60… The difference in resolution is amazing.
Also you are dropping down from 4k. It’s better to stay at somewhat higher resolution. It will be quite a shock to drop to literally quarter of your recently used resolution.
Honestly, just try and get 1440p…

2 Likes

I feel like more screen real estate feels more beneficial overall. Whereas high FPS only benefits games - competitive FPS games, specifically.

If you are not into that, you might want to prioritize a bigger screen resolution.

3 Likes

I have a Curved 32" 1080p. I don’t really have any complaints

1 Like

Im curious - How far are your eyes are from the screen and what are your use cases? Are you using ultrawide screen?

1 Like

At first I had a 32" 1080p/60Hz TV. it gave me headaches. Also the pixels were very noticeable.

Then I got a 32" 1440p/75Hz HP Omen monitor. The jump to 1440P was amazing and 75Hz was a little better than the 60Hz TV. No more headaches. But I knew my GTX1070 could do much better than 75Hz. Also I planned to get a RTX3060ti (ordered one yesterday! Woo Hoo!) It made no sense to have an awesome PC that was bottlenecked by the monitor.

I got a nice LG 32GK650F-B at Micro Center for $300. Not only is 1440p/144Hz a huge upgrade, but the quality of the screen (image quality) was much much better.
Today I found a used one for $223 at Tanga.

Save your money for a good monitor. It is one of the most important parts of your PC. And most people use their monitor without upgrading it for many years. After all, a good PC means nothing if your eyeballs can’t see it.

3 Likes

As far as I’m aware, there aren’t 32" 144hz 1080p IPS panels. I was looking for one specifically and the best I could get was VA from LG, which I have now and it looks so-so, although I definitely wouldn’t be daily driving this if I had to read a lot of text on the screen. I also have a 32" 1080p 60hz IPS display and while the colors are nicer, I’ve been a 144hz user for quite some time now and it’s definitely worth the jump up.

My actual daily drivers are 27" 1440p 144hz IPS monitors. 1440P is a huge step up as well IMO, honestly I would save for 1440p 144hz IPS if possible. I think this has been the sweet spot for gaming for years already and 4K is still too hard to push for the next few years.

Nevertheless, if you’re in the US this could be a viable option, it’s only $50 more than the 32" 1080p 144hz variant which is the one I’m assuming you’re talking about? https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/ost935/monitorlg_32_ultragear_qhd_2560x1440_165hz_hdr_10/

1 Like

@psycho_666 I want to save up money but I just can’t keep up using this 13" screen… is killing my back. I need to buy a new screen ASAP. There is a 32" 1440p 75hz that I could maybe push myself to buy but is VA panel. I heard VA is not gr8 for budget only if u go high end VA is worth it…

@Mariuspersen so you don’t see the pixel being too big for it? a lot of people complain about that and they call me pretty much “stupid” if I go for that size on 1080p. Obviously it comes down to personal preference but I have no experience with it.

@regulareel I’ve never had ultrawide, the 4k TV 40" was pretty much in front of me for the last few months and got used to it even tho it was “too big” i just got used to it overtime. Atm I’m using a cintiq 13" screen.

@positroned I wish I could like I’ve already answer to some1 else I can’t wait any longer I have to make a purchase either today or tomorrow but can’t keep up with this. I’m trying my hardest to find a budget 27 or 32 1440p but I just can’t find in my country… found only one 32 at 75hz but VA.

@Some_Tech_Noob there are, chinese brands are the one that does the most of them but there are. They are more present in SA region (I’m from Argentina) cos here monitor are VERY expensive even chinese ones which one there is market for them.

Thanks everyone for answering! and sorry for my late response I’ve been looking for monitor since I got up from bed for like 2…3h now with no luck. I know I will bottleneck my gpu on 1080p so maybe I will ended up getting a 1440p 32" VA panel even tho I know they don’t have great color accuracy or viewing angles… but budget IPS also could come with extra white glowing on the size so there’s also that.

Would it not be cheaper or better suited to your budget to go with another TV? I am from the Caribbean region so I am guessing that we may have similar brands sold locally, TCL, RCA and just about every third world variant of bigger brands like Samsung, LG etc that cannot and should not be distributed and sold in the US? :rofl:

But seriously can you get a 32" 1080p TV for a relatively decent price? I would go that route if you are budget constrained at the moment. If you do decide to go for a monitor, I would say go for the higher resolution, it really does make a difference.

1 Like

yeah I’ve been thinking more and more about just getting a new tv and get it over with it… cos yeah I can probably get another UHD 40" tv from some knock off brand for the cost of a 27" 165hz 1080p so there’s that. Either way I hope I can make up of my freaking mind already and go out and buy it, i’ve been up since 8am and already 15h day going fast.

My monitor is 32"1440p75hz…

You heard correctly.
Try looking for AOC Q3279VWFD8…
It’s literally the same but IPS and Freesync. Amazing quality. I bought mine for 220€.

1 Like

Sadly AOC is a brand that only has TVs on my country for whatever reason…

1 Like

if your sitting about a 2 feet away with your screen on the desk in front of you. 1080p @24 inches is about as big as you want to go to avoid the screen-door effect or larger pixels which makes jaggies look more pronounced.
max 27 inches 1440p
max 32+ 4k …
if your sitting further back it doesnt matter as much.
but if its on the desk at finger tip distance i go with the above for a rule of thumb.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the recommendation/advice but I cannot imagine going that low on size… I bought for my mom a 1080p 27" benq a few months back and it doesn’t look as terrible and is a 60hz IPS.

I found a good deal on a local store where I can buy it and have a 3 day period to try it out and if I’m not convinced I can return it so I will use this opportunity for try out 27" 1080p at 165hz (first curve screen too) and if I can’t get used to it I just go back to tv and w8 for have a bigger budget for make the jump to high refresh rate monitor at 1440p.

Thanks so much to everyone who try to help me out! :smiley:

2 Likes

1080p 165hz at 27" is a pretty good experience, probably the best thing you can get given the budget I think.

1 Like

I hope so! I’m looking forward to it… I will go get it in like an hour from now! I REALLY want to like this… I hate to return stuff not only for the waste of time but for the hassle of doing so.

After using 4k for like 3 years or so even tho I did enjoy it for movies and stuff but I still to this day I found a lot of content mainly on 1080p and it looked pixelated AF on a 4k panel (well maybe I’m being a bit exaggerated but it wasn’t gr8) so having a native 1080p could introduce a better experience overall at least that’s what I’m hoping for.

I think that you could probably find 32inch 1440p 144hz VA panels for a similar price,
to a 1080p 32inch 165hz ips panel.

So i suppose for gaming it might also be worth checking out VA panels instead.
Because those are usually cheaper then ips.

1 Like

yeah that would be “common sense” sadly is not the case where I live… 32 1440p 144hz VA u only find on brands like ASUS, LG, etc well known brands and they’re expensive AF. I only found ONE 32" 1440p 75hz VA chinese knock off brand and because I wanted to pay it with credit card the price went up like crazy and couldn’t buy it.

Either way now I’m using 1080p 32" at 144hz (it came without DP cable so I can’t push the 165hz) it looks pretty dope ngl first time using more then 60hz and DOOM eternal looks amazing i was never able to notice the executions so well, it looks fluid and accurate. Also first time using curve screen it looks fine like I can barely tell it’s curve unless I look at it from the sides and speaking of sides the “white glowing” on the corners only can be seen when I look it from the sides or above and is not that noticeable (thankfuly) when I look it at from the front I don’t really see it.

Color, contrast, and brightness looks good too! my cintiq still looks better color wise but whatever I’m nitpicking at this point it looks good.

Initial impression wasn’t great coming from 4k 40" but now after a few hours using it I don’t have much complains and I was able to enable DSR on nvidia control panel so I’ve set it up on 4k 144hz and while yes smaller size physically but I manage to have everything size wise within the screen just as I had it on my 40" so I’m happy with that.

Well that’s it I have 3 days to test it out but thus far I will keep it.