2TB SSD for media and games

Hi,

I want a secondry SSD for my computer, currently my OS is on an MVME drive and I want my media (photos, video and games) on a secondary drive, it will need to be around 2tb. I was wondering what is the best value/performance balance for this. I will also edit 4k footage from this drive too so need to bear that in mind.

Would a samsung 860 evo be sufficient?

Yup, the EVO should be sufficient. Don’t go with the QVO as it’s reliability is still questionable as the technology of QLC still needs to mature.

You can choose either the M.2 SATA form factor so you don’t need extra cables, or the 2.5’’ SSD form factor.

5 Likes

Nice, beat me to it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Do you have enough PCIe lanes for another NVMe drive?

If not, SATA drives kind of perform similarly once you get above a certain threshold.

I like the Crucial MX500 and BX500, they are usually pretty decent values. WD Blue is usually decent, as are its SanDisk siblings.

Nothing wrong with the Samsung 860 Evo either, although I’d compare prices with other brands because Samsung seems like you pay for the name.

2 Likes

Plenty enough for you needs. Also Samsung drives are very well tuned and reliable in my opinion.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

Thank you :slight_smile: appreciated!

The 860 EVO is an expensive SATA drive. You can get a 2 TB Phison E12 based NVMe drive for $250 which is 6x faster. Many brands sell Phison E12 drives and they are all basically the same so buy the cheapest (Inland Premium on Amazon as of now).

But have you checked it’s MLC or TLC rather than QLC? Also, there’s the issue of PCI-E lanes.

His computer is a corsair one so I’m fairly certain he wants a standard SATA drive.

As for which one, I wouldnt count out a Crucial MX500 either.

1 Like

860 EVO is a good choice
A possibility is a crucial mx500. I have been running them in all my systems (2tbs) and they work well and are reliable.

The mx500 offers the same performance to a 860 evo, but at a cheaper price.

3 Likes

Those are MLC drives, and even with shared chipset lanes it’s better than SATA (which also shares the chipset lanes anyway).

Thanks will check it out :slight_smile:

The ssd I suggested is going to be on sale at newegg tomorrow.

Check to see what price it may be!

5 hours until it unlocks!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.