$2k VR build

dat warranty though shouldnt be too much of an issue

1 Like

might want to go quad channel memory cause x99

1 Like

I do have some extra budget now...

1 Like

I haven't had any issues with my X99-A. The Sabertooth series are usually solid though. If you're nervous there are other options out there for motherboards. Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA.... All make good boards.

Which, tbh, you may want to consider. $300 for a mobo is excessive IMO. Even on X99

I am confident in the sabertooth now

yep, they were all options on the table

yeah...

He would probably be fine with the X99A or some of the other alternatives but that is just me. Would give you a little more cash to play around for some other stuff.

Asrock Extreme 6 added

maybe go for wd blacks over blue?
not that much more and if hes gonna be editing n shit performance etc

That is probably a good choice. I'm reading reviews and they are generally positive. There are some one star ones but prob just from DOA or people being idiots which you'll have with every board.

1 Like

I have full faith in asrock, my oc formula took my 4790k to 4.9 Ghz

and I could get 5820k at microcenter near my work, further freeing budget, or just spend less

1 Like

They literally perform the same. They just have a longer warranty. I have never had a problem with my Blue drives and I really don't think it is worth the extra money.

Ive only ever owned blues lol but blacks just seem the go to drive idk

I've tested blue and black side by side and the black had significantly better write speeds.

They are the "Go to" because they are more expensive and have black in the name and more expensive.

Blacks are actually supposedly louder. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

fuck that

That is heavily dependent on the task. I believe correctly Black drives do not spin down as blues do so in some tasks they will be faster. Little louder though.

What do you classify as "significant?"

@anon43112114 has a few(?) WD blacks and I vaguely remember him being annoyed about them being noisy.

IIRC the blue was about 85MB/s where the black was 125MB/s

They are louder.