$2k VR build

So, my sisters BF wants to do some VR gaming, so in my place as being the family computer wizard I was tasked with suggesting a spec list and assembling said rig. I am not charging assembly because I really could not care less about profiting off of family, I just wanna play with dat fresh hardware.

His Vive will be here this week

YES I HAVE ALREADY MENTIONED THAT BOTH MANUFACTURERS ARE LAUNCHING NEW CARDS SOON, he wants rig now so its not my problem.

budget is $2000 USD obvious if you read the title

[his is what I came up with http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hnzdNG

Things I considered, he likes quiet, doesn't care about flashy (hence windowless R5), and this is for me personally...I want this rig to be as reliable as possible (hence the air cooler).

I wanted to see if anyone else thought I am doing this properly

Did I put money in the right place?
Will 4GB Fury X be enough VRAM?
Will mobo handle decent OC if I did one?

P.S. He is a film student so this may or may not one day edit video (hence i7 and 2TB drive)

1 Like

Looks pretty good imo.

I'd get the retail win10 key from kinguin for like $40 (oem is like $25?). If you do that you could do crossfire fury / fury x which would certainly handle any vr you could throw at it (though w/ fury x you need to make sure there's 2 120mm rad mounts within reach which there should be in that case since looks aren't important).

As far as OC on that mobo... I haven't a clue (no research on skylake since I'm not doing anything with it and no spare time to read up on it).

Might wanna wait.

shits on build

Read much?

3 Likes

I wanted to avoid that, I do not want to do with the inevitable phone call of "this game isnt working"

and case has front rad mounts which is fine

Loose the 140 on fans and windows
Get a cheap cheap key
Probs enough to get a 5820k and decent mobo cause x99
Esp if video edit maybe

I'll look into this, I got seriously fucked over the last time I bought a "cheap" windows key, I do want anyone else to deal with that

Been fine twice for me

1 Like

how long though, It took me a few months before my key hit the fan

Well it was a win 8 key and last July

Paul's hardware has unofficially endorsed them too btw

1 Like

Yeah I'm here just to shit on things but honestly for the amount of money he is dropping and as you say he is a film student I'd just say fuck it and go X99. 5820K will give him plenty of power for games and productivity.

The Fury X is an interesting choice.... The Fury is probably a better option as it is nearly as fast and cheaper. The 980 Ti is also probably the best bet here I'm afraid for gaming although the Fury X seems to stop when it comes to DirectX 12 and rendering it will be a powerhouse. So this is really a toss up between any of those. The Fury X will certainly be cool and quiet. Don't worry about the VRAM it is plenty.

500GB for an SSD is excessive IMO. 250 is probably enough and it is personal preference but I'd rather have two 1TB drives than 1 X2TB. In that case go with the WD Blue.

Ditch those fans you don't need them.

You could probably find cheaper RAM.

3 Likes

Paul recommended it in a video (and they have an insurance thing which is nice)... I have no personal experience w/ them but i do trust Paul wouldn't promote something that screws its customers.

1 Like

only like 90p too

Done!

That was my main issue

Done!

dammit I really like those
2 Likes

BUT IT AINT UR BUILD M9

but they are REALLY quiet and REALLY nice (I have five)

noctua ltt edition or bust

lol

also in b4 i said 5820k first but u werent like done

part list updated

my only concern now is sabertooth, is ASUS still putting out mobos with issues? I've heard stories about them being "iffy"