2700k?

i dont have a rig right now but i've been meaning to get one for a while. after Haswell's disappointing release i am not sure what to get. i have an offer for a 2700k  OC'd at 5GHZ plus the mobo and ram for $450. i was wondering if it was a good idea to buy a chip thats already 2 generations old if i want to wait till something like skylake or the next good intel release. its either this or a 8350 with a cheap board. i don't particularly care whether my rig is amd or intel. i am eagarly awaiting for games like BF4, Dayz, GTA 5 and rome total war 2. 

TL;DR how many more years can i expect to use a 2700k @ 5ghz for before it needs to be replaced. and is this chip plus mobo and ram for $450 a good deal. 

*all dollar values are in canadian dollars*

Well, the 2700k from what i've heard is still quite good despite its age. Its high OC will help a lot, but its up to you. get current gen and get a bad board, or get older tech and nice parts. When i say old, the cpu wont show it at all. Bloomfield can hold its own still.

Definitely go for that deal. The i7 2700K is basically just a more highly binned version of the 2600K, which means they should overclock higher than the average 2600K.

Not to mention that the 3770K wasn't a huge improvement over the 2600K in the first place. A 3770K overclocked to around 4.6Ghz was about the same performance as a 2600K overclocked to 4.8Ghz. Since this 2700K can be overclocked to 5Ghz, it will easily outperform the average 3770K, especially because the 3770K runs hotter than the 2600K or 2700K and doesn't overclock nearly as well as a result.

Most 3770K's can get to around 4.6Ghz if you're lucky, while most 2600K's and 2700K's can get up to anywhere between 4.8Ghz and 5.2Ghz if you're lucky. Like I said before, the 2700K running at 5Ghz is going to easily outperform your run of the mill 3770K just because the clock speed is so much higher, plus it'll probably run cooler as well.

While Haswell did just come out with the launch of the 4770K, it's only about 10% faster than a 3770K, which you'll already be outperforming anyway. Sandy Bridge CPU's (like the 2700K) are still a very viable option, because there hasn't been a huge performance increase between it, Ivy, and Haswell. Haswell still suffers from more heat output as well which means lower overclocks than Sandy Bridge.

By the way, what motherboard and RAM are you getting with it?

thanks! i feel much better about taking this offer now. its a p8z68 deluxe gen 3 and 2x4 gb kingston hyperx low profile. i dont really play anything except league of legends for now. but when bf4 and rome total war 2 and ect come out im probably gunna go buy a 770. was wondering if http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_441&item_id=036009 could support everything. and is there any difference betweet what i just linked above and this one http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_443&item_id=054107

thanks in advance. loving how mature the community is here on the forums

Yeah, that's a really nice motherboard. The only way you can beat that board is if it was one of ASUS's Sabertooth or Maximus boards or an equivalent enthusiast board from another manufacturer. You pretty much have three classes of ASUS boards. You have their P8 line, their Sabertooth board, and then their ROG line. The ROG boards are the most extreme, the Sabertooth tends to be a watered down version of the ROG boards, but they supposedly have really high quality and durable parts. Their P8 line is really nice too, and the Deluxe board is usually highest end board in the series, unless they decide to release a Premier board.

Kingston HyperX RAM is some good stuff too.

Also, both of those power supplies would be able to power the system with a GTX 770, but I would personally go for the TX650M. It has a few more cables than the TX650 V2 (it comes with an extra CPU power cable in case your board has two CPU power plugs, and it comes with a couple more molex cables), and it is also partially modular, which means some of the cables are built into the PSU, while others can be removed.

Basically, you're going to have some of your core cables, like the 24 pin motherboard power cable and 8 pin CPU cable, as well as a few others, wired directly into the power supply. You won't be able to remove those, but some of the other cables like SATA, molex, and PCI-Express cables will be removable if you don't need them. This helps cut down on cable clutter inside your case and also gives you better airflow.

Both PSU's have the same basic power delivery system, but the TX650M definitely gives you more options and is a little more future proof if you ever upgrade to a board that has two CPU power plugs.

thanks alot for explaining everything. im definatly gunna buy this now. any idea how much it would have originally cost him?

I think the 2700K was around $300 when it first came out. Judging more current and similarly tiered motherboards, that board was probably around $285. I'm not sure about the RAM though because I'd need a very specific model to determine that. If I were to guess, though, the RAM would probably be anywhere between $60 and $100.

That would put all those parts at somewhere between $645 and $685.

You could get a 4770K with the same class of board and memory for around $700 just to put it in perspective. That's only about $250 more, so that's something to think about. If you can't afford that though, then you might be able to haggle him down on the price a little.

thanks for everything!