2950X with ASROCK Fatal1ty X399 Pro Gaming build problems

Try the 3rd Wendell vid I posted…I might have been wrong about VMWare specifically but there are apparently VM solutions for pass through that work quite well on the ASROCK Fatal1ty.

That’s what I was afraid of. Glad I went with the Corsair Hydro 100i Platinum.

OH NOES IT"S GONNA FLOOD AND DESTROY MY NEW PUDER!

:unamused:

Most 120mm fan coolers won’t fit as is in the case, and the be quiet is too tall for it.

Rosewill does not provide any info regarding supported cooler hight, but as the case is merely 17.8cm tall and the beQuiet cooler is 16.3cm high, I don´t think it is going to fit.

The NH-U9 @2bitmarksman mentioned is 12.5cm tall and meant for use in 4U cases.

This is why I suggested this cooler in particular

Also, if you’re wanting to do GPU passthrough, you’ll need to look into something like KVM with QEMU packages for Linux, or use a hypervisor like VMware ESXi, Citrix Xenserver, Proxmox, etc and load up your VMs on that

1 Like

Some people might see it as a waste of money to own two different kinds of CPU coolers but I’m addicted to review videos where guys assess different hardware. That NH-U9 cooler is dirt cheap, a couple bottles of good wine. I’m going to test out my Corsair h100i Platinum (it’s actually not that expensive either) and try that NH-U9 too. It’ll be an interesting experiment. I have yet to see a good review of the bigger Platinum cold plate on the 2950X. I appreciate your suggestion 2bitmarksman.

1 Like

No problem. Good luck on your build!

So the Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum’s water block overlaps the width of the Threadripper CPU but leaves about 1/8" to 3/16" uncovered at each end.

The Intel brackets for screwing it in just slide out and the TR4 brackets (included with the AIO) just slide in on the same slot. It takes an effort to slide the brackets out of the slot so they’ve got a solid grip on the cold plate and pump assembly.

This is not for educational purposes. It is pr0n pure and simple.

1 Like

I’ll only install half my RAM for now to make it easier to diagnose any problems that might arise when first try getting it to post.

It was pretty stiff and I was being ultra cautious and delicate installing it but it finally just clicked in nicely.

That’s the A2, B2 slots then if that works it’ll be C2 D2 slots

2 Likes

jesus-praying-to-god-motionage-designs

Power cables to that GPU are going to be a tight fit with the lid on but I think they’ll bend enough…

2 Likes

Is there a reason for the GPU to be in second PCIe slot?
That one is limited to x8. Full x16 are PCIE1 & PCIE4.
It wont impact gaming but compute and other workloads that move a lot of data between CPU & GPU will be impacted.

1 Like

Thanks for this; I wanted it in the first slot but that would make it really push against and bend the water hoses leading out from the radiator and I didn’t want either the pins on the GPU to be bent outwards or the coolant hoses to have long term lateral force applied to either particularly at a possible fail point like the junctures to the radiator. I’ll move the GPU to slot 3.

I’m having some regrets on the water block thing. If I’d known of that smaller Noctua that 2bitmarksman posted, (it fits in my case) I would have probably gone with that. Fitting that big AIO in there with everything else is making it a bit tight.

Or maybe I should have bought a bigger form factor case…like this 5U model.

And it’s only $145.00 too. hmmm…I bet it would fit a full Dark Rock Pro TR4 too…

http://www.plinkusa.net/web5101.htm

5101-2

1 Like

Couldn’t you turn the radiator 180° and have the hose run from behind the PSU?

Also, all your fans remove air from this space?

2 Likes

Thanks. As soon as I saw Polepetko’s advice I swapped it around just as you showed in your photo. The GPU is now in slot 1.

I was going to ask about fan direction though…how should I set up the fans? I thought my corsair fans on the radiator were blowing to the left…

1 Like

In 95% of fans, the blades are on the intake side.
Some fans have two arrows on them, one indicates spin direction and the other airflow direction.

Turn the radiator fans arround so they pull air through the radiator (frame side towards the rear of the case).

1 Like

Thanks a lot! Much appreciated.
:grinning:

1 Like

Getting my SATA power for my AIO pump off the same cable that I’m using for my DVD drive. That should be OK? I could put in another SATA cable to the PS but I’m trying to keep the cable clutter to a minimum if I can.

Yes that’s fine, make sure there is no strain on the connectors. Those sata ones come loose much easier than good old molex.

1 Like

Yes, everything in area has lots of space for that, no physical strain on the connectors at all…

Thanks for the reply…

2 Likes

I will recommend putting a 3rd 120mm fan in the missing section of the midplane where you mounted the AIO if you can. It will prevent any kind of air circulation back to the front of the case from the pressure difference. May be worth having a noctua fan there and putting the GPU in Slot 3 so it has it’s own dedicated fan of airflow for cooling :slight_smile:

1 Like

Or just a piece of cardboard.

3 Likes