24 Cores, 48 Threads for $360: Dual-X99 Jingsha Motherboard vs. AMD R9 3900X

It would be cool if wendell did a modern x99 dual dual pc/server build and compared it to new xeon and threadripper/epyc cpus. It only has one pci slot, so a server/homelab/nas build would be cool application for this

Similar to this old beaut from back in the day

3 Likes

Tech Jesus does a few of these FOR FUN type videos, they are interesting just from a messing about point of view.

On this board it does seem like this would make a decent local server/ws machine rather then anything to do with gaming.

I like the idea of this one being a NAS type board due to how many SATA ports it comes with.

1 Like

Steve is right though that it lacks behind in IPC for gaming. Been having not so great experiences with my 4960X for gaming with Wine and DXVK. Switched over to a 3600X and then a 10920X (and soon a 5800X) and things got a whole lot better.

1 Like

They did a great job here. The aspeed is half the IPMi solution and they didn’t miss the Xeon boost trick. There’s rogue microcode out there for certain v3 xeons that unlock the multiplier fully but uhhh

The reality is that these just arent what they once were. Also in the markets from which they originate the cost is much lower. Like equiv. $150-200 us

1 Like

That’s what I figured when comparing it to newer cpus. The dual xeon setups aren’t that good in gaming, but seem to crush it in multicore applications

As mentioned here, I would actually like to see if this setup compared to the ryzen cpus in a NAS/homelab setup. My guess is that they would also be overkill for those cases as well. Since who really needs 48 cores for NAS cases.

Maybe something for craft computing to work on.

Overkill for strictly a NAS, not quite enough for gaming… What about NAS with Plex or media streaming. Still probably does not need 48 threads but maybe you could section them up and have them doing dedicated tasks so it all runs smoothly.

1 Like

Inter core latency between sockets is what kills it for gaming, despite having “quad channel” access.

Saw this video a few days ago and I’m now quite interested in getting a dual-x99 setup as my first home lab setup. Do you have any additional comments on things I should look out for when getting an x99 system?

For a homelab try to grab an old server board instead of a new hacked up board. Ipmi at least but onboard lan and better pcie layouts

2 Likes

A new hacked board will have extremely minimal UEFI support, potentially worse than a actual server board. I agree you should look for decommissioned server surplus.

The thing I love about a lot of these chinese boards is that at least in the ones I’ve seen, they seem to have used ordinary mass-produced desktop chipsets but made them report as X99/X79 so that they’ll work with the socket 2011 CPUs. The price points on them are tempting to say the least.

1 Like