$230 GTX 970 or R9 390 or GTX 1070?

I hope your right, from what I hear OGL4.3-4.5 and Vulkan is the PRO part of the driver, while everything below that is just amdgpu drm.

I think if AMD plans to catch up on Linux by Vulkan then its not really helpful, its going to take years for games to migrate or be developed fro Vulkan, we only have Talos and Doom atm. OpenGL performance is still very much IMPORTANT for Linux in the foreseeable future.

true, Star Citizen will likely have Vulkan as well :)

I would pee my pants if Fallout 4 got Vulkan and came to Linux!

What, the Nvidia game? The one with Tessellation up the ass? Doubt that...

Believe it or not, I have managed to get it running well with my 390x. I did need to delete my settings ini files a couple times and perform a rain dance, but its going good now at high settings with ENB/Shadows/Rays.

Ay getting back to what I originally posted check this out: http://www.microcenter.com/product/463173/GeForce_GTX_970_SSC_GAMING_Video_Card_w-_ACX_20_Silent_Cooling
Microcenter changed the price back to where the 970s were before. They lowered the prices too early hah.

The 970 can easily handle everything at 1080p. If you aren't at 1440p right now then just get a 970 because it will be a waste to spend on 1070 now when a couple years later HBM and other improvements will be available.

230 for a 970 is pretty solid.

I'll sell you my MSI 390 for $275 shipped if you're in the US and you're interested. Works perfectly fine, but I'm upgrading to a 1080 on release because I want that 4k.

What do you plan to play? What resolution do you plan to play them at? Do you plan to stream/record using NVENC? Do you plan to use DSR to upscale your game?

If you are at 1080p then 970 at that price can't be beat. It can play more than 80FPS on most games I have played and at high settings.
Anything above that then you question if you need 1070 or not. Right now the only benchmarks Nvidia has shown are for VR performance. Nothing else in regular DX12 has been shown. No point worrying about that until May 17 when the reviews come out and May 27 when they launch.
On the other hand the AMD Polaris 10 won't be coming out for a long time, sometime between July and September.
Do you need more performance now and do you have time for it? Then get the 970 if you are on 1080p.

The AMD polaris cards are like everyone has said, low-to-mid end cards. If all you need is a 390x type performance then they are a good choice once out. AMD has no plans from what I understand to release a HIGH END videocard at this time. (this year at least)

I'd wait for AMD's R9 490x Polaris replacement if I were you to consider all your options. Wait for Computex trade show for details.

That would be the Vega this October. They can also do a R9 495x, to compete with Nvidia's GTX 1080(Ti). The Price wouldn't make sense but they've done it time and time again, albeit with a big gap in releases (6990, 7990, R9 295x).

$0.21 is at the highest end of what people pay for electricity in the US. Most people pay about half that.

http://www.eia.gov/electricity/sales_revenue_price/pdf/table5_a.pdf

So it's about an extra $14 per year for people in the US to select the 390 over the 970, or $42 over 3 years, rather than $85. That doesn't sound as bad.

1 Like

Keep in mind DX12, Vulkan, etc in 3 years will be common place and 970 will hick up and belch and limp etc... While 390 will be just fine...