21st century house quest: PoE Video surveillance system

Hello guys,

In my quest to bring my house to the 21st century I am looking for DIY solution for video surveillance. At the moment, after identifying the 10 camera positions, the next step is installing CAT 6a which will end up in the server room (glorified closet).

I would like your input in the following:
1. Hardware:
a. Cameras: Brands, Models etc.
b. PoE Switch
c. The server: optimal specs (I can build it, I have room in my 42U rack for a larger case with many HDDs/SSDs)
2. Software:
a. Something open source if not supplied with a server/dvr
b. if possible I would like to be able to have a live feed
c. live backup at an offsite server

About the cost. I would like something of good quality and reliability. Not the super cheep, not the super expensive.
Thank you in advance.

1 Like

I personally use ubiquity stuff. The cameras I realy like, they have a descent quality without costing a fortune.

Have a look at https://www.ubnt.com/products/#surveillance for the stuff they have. For the NVR they offer, I can not say if it is able to handle 10 cams, as I run it on a much beefier machine inside a VM (yes, the softwar is avliable as .deb and for windows).

They also now have an android and iOS app, which either by using a VPN or through their cloud allows to to access the feed and recordings of you NVR at home. (I use my own VPN, not their cloud service)

I just rsync the recordings to another machine =)

The only "downside" is, that the cameras are acutally dumb. So the motion detection is done by the NVR and not the cameras, and you have to have the ubnt NVR (software) running for that.
It is locking one into the ecosystem, but well... the price and quality made me overlook that. And despite that I am still happy with it.

Don´t forget to buy a good UPS with a big enough battery. Since all the cameras are poe and will be feed by power from the poe Switch wich is in the Server room it should be quiet easy to accomplish a good Setup with enough back up time

I have worked out a set up with D-Link DCS-2210 as I found that they struck a good balance between image quality and price for me.

They have built in motion detection and I just let them ftp one jpg per second to a server when motion is triggered. They have two motion detection methods where one is IR and the other video motion but the IR doesn't work well for me (maybe because of the range/position) and the video motion can trigger due to grainy video in the dark so I had to spend some time calibrating the sensitivity. They can stream live as well over I believe rstp...

For switch I guess whatever you like working with (HP, Cisco, Juniper, Ubiquity), just make sure it's the right PoE standard for whatever equipment you are connecting and that it has enough PoE budges as some switches come with 24 ports but can not supply full PoE power to all of them.

@Blanger may be able to help with this as he is one of the surveillance experts on the forum and has a significant surveillance setup.

You may also want to check this thread out as it goes into some of the things you are asking about:

1 Like

Yup, agree check that thread out. I have asked many questions and have received thorough answers.

Tip: NEVER BUY TP LINK PoE switches. I have had two fail already.

1 Like

I'll chime in.... but best I can do is make a few recommendations.

First I'll tell you you don't need cat 6 cabling, all IP PoE cameras are 10/100 devices, unless you have a specific need for cat 6 you can use cat5 cable...

Hardware-wise do you plan on using a DVR or a network server to run the monitoring software, have you looked at any monitoring software yet?

Cameras.....wow, so much to choose from but you'll want to stay away from bottom of the barrel budget cams, personally I'd recommend (if your building your own system) Trendnet and Hikvision cams, both companies make cams up and down the price range in many different configurations, all appear to be good solid products and in fact are the same cams (some models) with different branding and firmware, still hard to beat. You will want to steer clear of any type of wireless solution..I can go into the reasons if you need to know.

PoE switch, personally I like Netgear, if you planning a very big system I'd go with a managed switch, they are pricey but you get what you pay for, I use two, one a 24 port it is a ProSafe M4100, the other is a ProSafe FS728TLP which is also a 24 port switch but only has 12 PoE ports (I have 3 buildings that I'm covering and the hardware is split between two of them)
The thing you want to watch for in your switch is the "pool power" which is the total wattage that is available that is spread between the number of PoE ports you have, the larger the pool is the better off you are, typical PoE IP cameras pull less that 10w each but it adds up quick as you build the system adding zones and cameras.

Server...again it totally depends on what you want and your end goal, I built a server based on a AMD 6300 that not only runs my monitoring software (Zoneminder) but runs a web portal, it will eventually house a mail server and serve up a couple web sites, it basically is a Ubuntu LAMP server running V14.x I can give you more details on it if you want to go that direction.

But the server would totally depend on what your going to run as monitoring software so it's something you need to research. IP cameras don't really care as they are just another network device taking up a IP address on your network.

I also use a rack server, as for HDDs you will want to stay away from SSDs and concentrate on drives that are A/V rated (Like WD purple drives) or NAS rated drives (like WD red drives) your monitoring software will be running 24/7-365 so you will want a server that sips power but has drives that are rated for non-stop use, consumer drives like WD blacks, blues, greens will die quickly when used in this type of application. (BTW I'm just using WD as a example not necessarily recommending them as there are better and worse) Same would go for a SSD, I doubt the life would justify the cost in the capacities you will need...but that is just my opinion.

Software.... as I stated above I use Zoneminder which is a freeware Linux monitoring software, it is powerful but very spartan in appearance but it does the job nicely and is being actively worked on so there are periodic updates that add functionality, it's worth a look but does require a LAMP server to operate on.

There are a lot of monitoring software programs, it's better to just Google it and take a look at what you find....just be aware that some of the programs that say they are free put limits on the number of cameras or other features that the free version offers, some even charge you per camera after you go over their set amount. ..just better to research and ask questions.

When you say live feed you mean? all the cameras will have a live feed local view, if you mean outside your LAN then it gets dicey pretty quickly, if you have a static IP from your ISP it is doable but if not then your talking about using a 3rd party site for hosting which isn't something I'd recommend..

Live backup at off site server.....do you mean events?

Cost....depends on your perspective I'll break my system down for you....

Server, I probably have 6-$700 dollars invested in it with 5tb of storage
Switches, the big switch was $289 the smaller one was $200
Cameras, I currently have 18 cameras running (final will be somewhere between 22-26 total) (good IP cameras run between 90-125ea...you can spend a lot more if you want) but we'll just round it off and say $1800 in cameras
Software = free
Misc cable and associated stuff (RJ45's, good cable crimpers, cable tester, punch down panels, ect) probably another $400

So you can see from above I have a rather large system, it's pricey but I've spent that money over a couple years and it will probably be another year before I'm done, so I have $3300 invested so far and I figured that I will be over $4000 when finished (I really want a PTZ but just can't bring myself to spend that much on one camera), nothing is really cheap about doing this and it's not really something I would recommend unless you own your home and plan on staying there for a good long time. If you rent I'd recommend buying a cheap stand-alone system that uses a DVR.

If you own your home there are a couple things to consider one being that a good CCTV system should lower your insurance rates, it is a asset if you choose to sell your home and you want to leave it, and most likely your neighbors won't like the fact that you have cameras....can't answer why but they either think you are spying on them or your hiding something from the police, either way pay them no mind it's your property and when someone breaks into their house you will be the first one the cops come to see if your system captured any of it..lol

Don't know what else I can tell you, feel free to ask me anything I'll try to answer, I'm not the smartest on this stuff but I do know that works for me in my situation.

Good Luck, and check out the thread that @MichaelLindman linked above lots of good info is contained there.

3 Likes

First of all thank you all for your input. I really appreciate the help.(I can only have 2 users in a post since I am new sry)

Th3Z0ne I had a look at the ubiquity surveillance product line and it looks like an easy plug and play system. I am not really sure about their NVR, and I would like to have the flexibility to use any kind of software I want in the future and not be locked in with a single vendor. I really like their Wi-Fi products from a quality standpoint and have installed some of them for friends and family. Since I want more flexibility on the software side and I have time on my hands (no other hobbies =] ) I would like to build something from scratch. Thank you!!

dem_Geist I forgot about that. I will have to think about it at a later stage because I don’t know yet what else will go in my rack, other than networking gear and a couple of servers. I am thinking about getting an emergency generator somehow connected to the house so in case of a blackout that would kick in and the batter capacity would not have to be high. It would have to provide power to everything for a few minutes. Good point thank you.

caprica Checked the camera model you have but I will probably go with Hikvision since there is a supplier near me with very reasonable prices. Thank you!!

MichaelLindman I think Blanger got the message and decided to take over. You should see how much he wrote =) I will look into that post thank you for your time.

Member1 Got it, no TP Link!!

@Blanger HERE WE GO! You wrote the story of your life here thank you for all the valuable info. I own the house. I get what you are saying about the cat 6 cable, it’s overkill but since I will be doing all of the network wiring for the house and I will be buying in bulk I will use what I have left.

Hardware-wise I would like to put together a server with room to grow. It’s not a big house but who knows what I will think of doing after. Having a universal piece of equipment makes more sense to me at this point because I will be able to repurpose it if and when I get to do upgrades and changes.

Cameras, no wireless for many reasons, mainly for reliability and security. Hikvision was suggested to me by some friend as well. I will probably go with those since as you say they are good solid products at good prices. I will need 8-10 cameras for the size of the house. Any more than that would be overkill.

PoE Switch, I like netgear as a brand. Never bought a PoE switch from them, or from anybody else to be honest =) but I will take your word for it. Did you pay that price for new ones or did you get used?

About the software: I want open source and free is possible so I will look into Zoneminder among others. I can get a static IP for fairly cheap from my ISP and that is what will probably happen. What I want is to be able to use my phone to check on what is going on at the house and the other important thing is to be able to send the recordings to a computer off site if possible to make sure that in the case that someone gets in my place and messes with the servers, I will have the footage of them getting in.

Again thank you for your time to write all of this.

1 Like

I bought both new....from Newegg if I remember correctly.

Again good luck, if you need anything just ask we will try to help, also it would be beneficial to others for you to kinda' blog about your install, take pictures and a short write-up would be a nice addition and as I said will help others.