2070ti, 3060 ti, 3060, 3060 lhr, or old pascal titan xp

ive been looking for a hashing gpu.
£400/$500 hard limit on cost.

ive been learning to do a bit of pentesting and have run into some issues hashing with the likes of john. (just to slow)
currently i have a 970 that will stay in the build as a passthrough for vm’s
and the new card i want something with a way higher hash rate.

im assuming the lhr version of the 3060 might impact johns hash rate. so may not be a good option although its pretty much the cheapest of the bunch other than the 2070 and titan. (350 and 300 respectively)

reason im asking is there are no benches that specifically deal with hashing passwords.
so i have no idea what each card is capable of.
so anyone wanna chip in with datasheets or know of a reputable site that has benches…
please link.

or if you have one of the cards and are willing to throw up your numbers. please feel free.

thanks for your input.

lol seriously no one?.

you know pen testing is a legitimate occupation and cracking passwords is part of the job?.

in addition to the first request for help…
im looking at an amd card also. 6600xt
is this a better option saying as amd is generally better supported with opengl ?.
(im not sure if john will use opengl)

Lol seriously?

Getting annoyed for not getting an answer for a very niche question in 2 hours.

I have no idea about how “john” works.
But have you considered finding out what algorithms are relevant for you and then go to whattomine and check the different gpu’s and their hashrates for those algorithms?

1 Like

Maybe mining calculator can be a pointer, IDK? Set electricity cost to 0 and it should be “performance is king” list, right? Now they do not necessarily use alghoritams relevant to you, or even same algorithms on all of the cards.
https://www.nicehash.com/mining-hardware

1 Like

annoyed? lol hardly…
normally you ask a gpu related question 2 hours later your looking at your feed thinking did something go viral…
so no mate not annoyed just surprised zero input. :wink:

and yeah ive considered what algorithms john uses…
theres over 1000 to choose from which is why i asked.
as there are more proficient pen testers who know what hashes they use regularly. i thought maybe one or 3 might offer commentary, on how there gpu’s cope giving some info and numbers if available. :slight_smile:

@vivante
yeah thats why i mentioned the lhr version of the card. i dunno if hashing would be affected by lhr or mitigated by the driver patch.
as the patches seem to be workarounds for specific coins rather than bypassing it completely.

Reminder to keep it civil

1 Like

nope… dont need or appreciate this kind of moderation…

no ones being nasty, and no one is being a dick so no need for a mod to jump on and tell everyone to be civil.
thanks.

id love to know whats going on with this forum where some of the mods feel they need to make pre-emptive strikes and issue warnings which that is. where NONE was needed.

yeah not being funny but not a fan of that.
its antagonistic at best and thought police at worst.
so please don’t.

Buddy do you have any idea how many times I see people fly off the handle for less,

I get tagged and pinged at every flag about someone starting something with someone else and it all starts the same, so when I see someone that looks like it’s going to end up in a spat I say something so nothing happens and everyone carries on and nobody ends up name calling

Me saying keep it civil when I see people being confrontational is hardly thought policing, rule number 1 is don’t be a dick

God forbid I want people to get along

1 Like

lol if people are flying off the handle for less they have other issues :slight_smile:

you got tagged? and this got flagged?.
lol sorry about that.
some people need better things to do with there days. :frowning:

Me saying keep it civil when I see people being confrontational

like i said. no-one was being confrontational or antagonistic.
they made an assumption, the assumption was incorrect and no offense was taken on my part.
(i kind of asked for it by saying oh 2 hours and still no replies :laughing: )

:slight_smile:

If the workload is extremely similar to a crypto hashing type of workload it might be picked up and slowed down.

If you know more details on the load you could extrapolate some data knowing the FP precision of each card.

Gonna be home in a little more than a week from now. If you’re willing to wait I could help you with the 2070 Super numbers if the program doesn’t require installation. Sorry for the clause in bold but it’s my main and almost only machine so if I screw it up I’m in a world of hurt.

1 Like

no hurry as i have a week or 2 before i put money down.
so when ever you have the time spare is fine with me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

a week or 2 turned into months but i found the benches i required in the meantime.
now i have the choice of a rx 6800 or a rtx 3070 ti
hashcat rates are within a couple of 1000 either way for each card.

the dilemma.
the 6800 is £50 cheaper, so would normally be a no brainer if i was just wanting to play games.
but half the stuff i do is on kali running on the metal.
or just works better on nvidia (v-ray/mental-ray/3ds max) so amd may not be the best choice.

so… opinions/advice plz.

If it gets the job done faster, I’d go with RTX. Recently I was surprised to find that in some workloads RTX3050 will just about match RX6800 and RTX3070Ti will obliterate it completely, such as Blender Cycles render engine.

1 Like

Hello,

Would like to chime in here, basically get something, anything and then learn to use HashCat and its mask rules and rainbow tables / password spraying.

I am assuming for the stuff you are doing (I assume HTB, THM etc) grabbing NTLM hashes and whatnot Just grab the 3070ti for the faster mem. RTX cuda cores work well with HashCat. I use a 6600XT to great effect. HashCat is better than John the ripper from my testing if you can get the hases to work as intended!

Here is something to spice up that rockyou.txt list as well

Hope this helps,

UHI

1 Like

i go back to order the 3070ti and spot a 6800xt for 5 quid more … GRRR!.
gonna sleep on this coz the performance difference is kinda real between the two of these :frowning:

@UHI yeah tryhackme and a couple of others.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.