2011-3 future proofed socket?

I am used to intel switching sockets on every new cpu release except for 2011-3. 2011-3 is 2 years old and works with both 5830k and up/ 6800k and up. Will this socket be relevant do you think in 2020 when they release the 5nm speculated chips? If so I will be extremely happy because then I would be able to upgrade the cpu and not need to buy a new motherboard. I suppose it is too far out to tell, but one can wish.

will it still be used by people? yes. will it still have new cpus's coming out for it by intel? no.

They are already working on a replacement in the form of LGA 2066 for Skylake-EP. So no, it won't be fitting any CPUs newer than Broadwell-EP.

Doesn't mean it will stop working once it's replaced, LGA 1366 is 8 years old and people still use it for their daily machines and get close to the same performance as Haswell. The X99 platform is similarly solid for a good 5 years.

1 Like

No this is likely that last revision of it before it is replaced. But if you have it now it will hold up perfectly up to and after that time, Intel barely upgrade shit these days, extra 100mhz here a core or two there and an extra $600.

AMD is releasing a new socket with ZEN, supposedly it is suppose to be one socket to rule them all, to kind of get rid of this redicules change MOBO/RAM/CPU every time a upgrade comes out.

I hope that this post does not sound condescending, but...

As of now, in the world of technology, there is no such thing as "future proofing."

For computer parts the only parts that can be "future proofed" include the case and the power supply. Until innovation in computers hit a wall, there's always something new.

The best method for "future proofing" is to buy the best that you can afford now then wait until you need the upgrade.

Alternatively, you can choose to buy the best of the previous generation.

Research into new features Intel/AMD/Nvidia bring for new technology then determining whether need it or not helps as well

1 Like

I agree, not really such a thing as future proofing. Not in computer technology. Buy the best for your needs today. If your needs change tomorrow you will have to think about buying new stuff then.

Basicly nope, there wont be a new line of cpu´s for X99 socket 2011-3 anymore in the future.
Broadwell-E and Broadwell-EP are the last gen of cpu´s for this socket + chipset.
But as far as performance goes, it will of course stay relevent for a couple of years to come.

Yeah the next socket is lga-2066

The line up is as follows
Kaby Lake X (2066) = processors in price range of 330 dollars - 1000 dollars.. This is where the successors to the 5820k and the 6850k will be.. There will probably be more variants in here despite it being the x platform

Skylake X will be you two super high end enthusiast grade chips likely two of them only and different in both speed and core count

I suspect Intel is going to tier to the x platform more to squeeze a bit more money out of it and to provide more competitive slots for chips in response to amd zen (yes believe it or not Intel is a bit spooked which is fine.. Smart.. And understandable) lols

2 Likes

Any modern 6 core will stay relevant for a very long time. Like especially haswell don't expect it to bottleneck anything for a long time

Future proof is never a thing

doesn't mean the hardware is bad when a new one comes out, but there will always be newer bleeding edge standards that replace the older ones

Future-proofing is a buzzword that companies and consumers throw around "ooh, will that be more future-proof?"

Uhhh, no. No, it won't. I saw an old eMachines with a 366 Celeron in it at a thrift store. It still had it's "Futureproof computer - free upgrades" sticker on it.

And now, eMachines is a byword and a whisper in the tech community nowadays. They're gone.

However, that does not mean that old hardware is bad. Not at all. LGA775 CPUs are still perfectly viable for office machines and even low-end gaming rigs. You can pick up a quad-core E5310 for around $5, put a 771 mod sticker on it, grab a decent motherboard for $50, a decent cooler for $25, and overclock the hell out of it. I've done it dozens of times and if you inject microcode into the BIOS, it will support Windows 10 with no issues.

Sandy Bridge, Nehalem and Westmere are even more useable, especially since their upper-end equipment supports hyperthreading just as Skylake does today.

Socket 2011 will be retired once Skylake-EP arrives. But Socket 2011 systems will remain relevant and highly-useable for many years to come.

I had an eMachine desktop my grandfather gave me and my family when I was 10, I was the only one using it since most people would rather use the desktop that already had the Q6600. The CPU and GPU in that thing was a nightmare even against the Q6600/ATI X1300, which is potato compared to even my tablet (Although an OC Q6600 could probably keep up with the i5 4300U).

1 Like

Whats Future Proof? The original 2011 socket also lasted 2 Generations, People get so hung up on "Future Proofing" (same with the word "budget" but that's another topic for another time)
KemoKa73 is right on the mark

Yeah i have readed about those rumors indeed.
If true then its exaly a very interesting move from intel.
1 platform that can carry both enthusiast grade chips and mainstream chips.
I would personaly realy like that.
But the big question will be, if the rumor is exaly true are we also going to see one chipset?
Not sure if mobo manufacturers would be too happy about it.
Or are we going to see motherboard with the same sockets but diffrent chipsets?

1 Like

It's possible.. With amd moving the south bridge onto the CPU because there is enough heat and power headroom.. Intel could be pulling the same move to counter it... I mean think about it.. One mobo chips et to rule them all.. On one manufacturer that allows you to select the features you want and not pay extra for stuff you don't need Vs one who doesn't allow that (intel)... That would be a no Brainer for most consumers

Well yeah if they somehow could move the southbridge to the chip aswell,
then that would have allot of adventages in terms of latency etc..

1 Like

There is no such thing is future proofing, basically it's a term which means the more you pay the slower your computer will age.
The best case of "future proffing" sofar is AMDs am4+ where appearently all their cpus are meant to fit in. <-this is by FAR the best example ever of future proofing. Atleast it means your MOBO will live a full generation of CPU's

Though with Intel comes your disadvantages too.. They love to tier things and that is what worries me so much is that they will make you buy a more expensive chip.. Say if you wanted m.2 which would be stupider than just buying a relatively midtier mobo