20+ ssds locked or something

The IT guys where i work have 20 or so samsung and toshiba 256gb sata ssds. they were pulled from a nimble server i think. they used some sort of sata to sas adapter for each drive. anyway when you put them in a system or use a sata to usb adapter you cant use them. some times i can see them in disk manager but cant format them. ive tried use Samsung magician software to fix them but doesnt seem to be able to do anything other than tell me the serial number. ive tried connecting them through the sata to sas adapter to an LSI card but in the LSI configuration utility i cant format them. it seems unlikely to me that all these drives would be dead. did the nimble machine lock them or something ? is there no way “unlock” them without the original nimble server? (i think its long gone now)
any help to be able to use these drives would be greatly appreciated

Have you tried booting into a linux distro and seeing if the partion manager sees it. If so just pop the partition(s) and try them again under windows.

Can you try diskpart? I have found for flash drives that diskpart has to be used to even see some of them to format. Disk manager doesn’t do the trick.

2 Likes

They could be an odd sector size. I ran into this issue with some NetApp SSDs I picked up…if this is your case, you will need to set the sector size before you can format them.

ok so that totally sounds like what it is but i cant seem to set the block size to 512

if i try sg_format
root@ubuntu:~/setblocksize# sg_format -S --format --size=512 /dev/sg0 -v
ATA SAMSUNG MZ7PC256 2W1Q peripheral_type: disk [0x0]
PROTECT=0
Unit serial number: S0WYNSAC902278
LU name: 50025380a0005c24
mode sense(10) cdb: 5a 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 fc 00
Mode Sense (block descriptor) data, prior to changes:
Number of blocks=500118192 [0x1dcf32b0]
Block size=512 [0x200]

A FORMAT UNIT will commence in 15 seconds
ALL data on /dev/sg0 will be DESTROYED
Press control-C to abort

A FORMAT UNIT will commence in 10 seconds
Press control-C to abort

A FORMAT UNIT will commence in 5 seconds
Press control-C to abort
Format unit cdb: 04 18 00 00 00 00
Format unit:
Fixed format, current; Sense key: Illegal Request
Additional sense: Security conflict in translated device
Field replaceable unit code: 5
Format unit command: Illegal request, type: sense key, apart from Invalid opcode
FORMAT UNIT failed
root@ubuntu:~/setblocksize#

then if i try setblocksize

root@ubuntu:~/setblocksize# ./setblocksize -b512 -t1200 /dev/sg0

setblocksize V0.2

Checking parameters …
Blocksize specified.
Timeout specified.
Done.
New blocksize: 512 Bytes
Format timeout: 1200 minutes
Open device file …
Done.
Prepare command …
Done.
Send INQUIRY command …
Done.
Check status …
Command successful.
Check for LUN …
LUN present.

===============================================================================
SCSI ID : 0
LUN : 0
Connected to: Host2 / Channel0
Manufacturer: ATA
Model : SAMSUNG MZ7PC256
Device type : Disk

Do you really want to reformat this device [y/n]? y

Prepare command …
Done.
Send MODE SELECT command …
Done.
Check status …
Command successful.
Prepare command …
Done.
Send FORMAT UNIT command …
*** Please wait - Do not manually interrupt or power down! ***
Done.
Check status …
Error: Check Condition
[valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current sense key: Illegal Request
Raw sense data (in hex):
70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 74 79 05 00
plus…: Driver_status=0x08 (DRIVER_SENSE,SUGGEST_OK)
Command NOT succesful!

root@ubuntu:~/setblocksize#

so … i dont know whats up but i bet that is the issue

Here is another thread from serve the home that might help?

What does hdparm -I report? Does it support different logical sector sizes?

Havent tried hdparm -l yet. ill try that next. in all those other posts ive been reading ive heard that in some cases the drives can be locked with some type of encryption and it need the original server to decrypt. that doesnt make sense to me though since shouldnt encryption just be changing the 1s and 0s to more different 1s and 0s? i dont see how if could render a drive useless

Yes encryption would have been another guess, but I don’t have experience with SSD encryption, as I never used it on SSD level itself. I don’t know if that would render the device useless, or just accessing the data.

Regarding hdparm vs sg_format. I’ve recently formated some HGST and Seagate HDD to 4k logical sector sizes.

As I think to remember:

• sg_format didn’t work for both HGST and Seagate drives (maybe because they aren’t scsi drives). Maybe I entered something wrong. I don’t know
  • hdparm --set-sector-size 4096 didn’t work for HGST drive. But funnilly when I did hdparm --set-sector-size 2048 it worked and the drive sector size was changed to 4096
  • hdparm --set-sector-size didn’t work for Seagate disk. I had to use the seachest-lite tool to change the sector size.

Is there maybe a tool from the vendor to reset/change the drive?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.