2 months with Ryzen 1700

It has been a little over two months with my AMD Ryzen System. It is phenomenal with a overclock of 3.8ghz. What the big deal for me is that it has great multi threaded capabilities. Far better than Intel at he moment. For me I make use of this with running VM while using handbrake to encode bluray to HEVC.

My 5820k has trouble running VM and handbrake. When running VM and handbrake on my 5820k system I get about 13 to 15 fps in handbrake. With Ryzen running both I get about 23fps now that I swapped out the slower ram I had in my AMD system for 3200mhz ram.

When running my 5820k without VM I receive about 19fps with h265 encoding. My Ryzen build doesn't seem to do any better with or without VM running in the background.

For temps I am a bit confused as to how a Hyper 212 Evo cools my Ryzen the same as a Corsair H115i. I get approximately 60 to 65 on 100% load and 40 on idle for both coolers. Going from a 30 dollar one to a 130 dollar one should show more difference. I have re-seated the corsair one and it still cools the same. This is in performance mode with the corsair link software. If it isn't in performance it hits 70 or higher. So I just don't get it.

I have the corsair radiator going out the top, I may try placing it at the front.

Gaming and streaming is again great, very few frame drops if any and I get reasonable fps in game.

Overclocking is something that could improve with Zen+ because intel is pushing higher and higher clock speeds where as AMD is pushing newer technology. When intel releases a 4.5ghz or even 5.0ghz cpu, AMD may lag behind. Yes AMD has a 5ghz FX cpu, but it is a 7 year old architecture.

No problems with compiling, photo editing, ssh, ftp, etc. All is well in my ryzen build land.

Something to note, USB 3.0 transfer speeds are no longer bottle necked by whatever bottle necked my old FX 8320 build. What I mean is USB 3.0 external drives capp out at about 112MB/s with Ryzen, where as my FX build would cap out at about 60 MB/s.

I give the Ryzen CPU a 9 out of 10 for it overall performance.

11 Likes

My 5820K system is getting on a bit now so it's good to see positive feedback on an alternative architecture that is giving Intel conniptions and helping to reduce the overall system cost. I've always thought a good balance of cores was the way to go even in my system which is still primarily a gaming rig.

Definitely worth some more investigating on the rad position as you would expect some temp improvement with the Corsair.

My 5820k is going to the wife, been tempted to go with 1700 or 1700x

Thanks for the update. It's nice to see updates like this and you had me convinced (well I was already convinced before this but!) I'm going to build myself a Ryzen PC later this year and Have my FX 8350 turned into something else.

Have you tinkered with it any in ESXi? I'm sure it'll work but I don't want to blow away the machine I have now to try it.

Have you had any playback compatibility issues coverting your blurays to H.265?

Nope. What I do is use Make MKV to rip and Handbrake to Convert. I use VLC without issues playing the video back. I can game, encode while watching, even run VM.

still waiting for the esxi svm patch.. so you can have all the threads. otherwise you have to disable svm

1 Like