16GB of DDR4 and an Optane Drive OR 32GB of DDR4

Eventually, definitely.

Prices always come down eventually. But yes, it could be some time.

I’d forget about that though (because it’s pure speculation - and there’s always likely something better coming.).

I’d consider how much you want to spend today, and whether or not that adds up to new board+cpu+RAM or upgrade existing system.

The one other thing to consider is that if you DO splurge for a whole new system, if your old one still works you can potentially use it as a server (i.e., it’s not entirely dead money) or maybe sell it to someone else.

But its a big cost difference.

I have considered what my current components would become. I figure to upgrade my CPU RAM Mobo would be about 500. The components I have currently would become my server, whose current components arent good enough to even warrant remembering. The one thought I have is that I am not buying an entirely new system, just the three primary components.

I agree it is down to cost vs performance vs usefulness to the gamer or consumer.

Intel knows there is NO value in optane for the home user so there marketing is now OPTANE MEMORY not storage and it is lies. Slower than samsung NVMe storage for much higher cost.

Laptops are being sold with this bullshit to consumers.

Intel are just down right lies at this point. Replace the optain with a samsung SSD and the same home performance gains.

The intel software ONLY works with OPTANE cause reasons.

2 Likes

Fortunately I already have two samsung SSDs. I don’t know that NVMe would be worth the cost at this point in time either unless I found a great deal on one.

I think what I have taken away most from this conversation is I should benchmark my current system to see where it truly stands right now and have a better idea of the performance improvement I could attain.

Im not anti Optane…It just does not matter in consumer space. Its high IOPS is illrelivent and top end SSD’s with faster transfer rates for lower prices. A of higher capacity like 1TB or 2TB SSD’s are Optanes killers .

1 Like

::: face palm :::

Optane does work with Linux as a memory extender (and not just as storage). Checkout this setup guide:

It is very deep integration. It requires a complete power off after installation. They are doing some low level kernel and/or BIOS modifications.

It is also licensed and not open source. That may kill adoption of this more than the performance issues in the Linux world.

What kills Optane is the fact you can get the same performance and more capacity for less with good NVMe SSDs.
Optane was developed to be storage, and the route was so bad, Intel choose to not talk about it on several occasions.

Not exactly. Optane has its merits, they just don’t matter for end user desktop for the most part (yes, i’m sure some desktop users will see benefit, but not most, and for most there are plenty of places to spend money first).

Optane has promise for certain applications - where you may for example want a device with persistent state memory and don’t care so much if memory access is slower. e.g., mobile devices. Or if you need more random access storage than DRAM can provide.

But neither of those situations are that relevant for end user desktop…

I can definitely see optane taking off in the datacenter and in mobile devices eventually though.

Also bear in mind this is a v1.0 product. Things will improve.

For servers, they are trying sell the idea of extending memory to 1TB and beyond. For that use case, there is not much competition.

I have seen servers with 2TB internal memory. Optane is a more expensive, more complex “not really SSD”

In the IMDT config for optane, there isn’t even persistence, they are just exending memory. x86 cpus are pretty horrible about accessing huge amounts of memory compared to power and sparc, the page size is too small and there aren’t enough TLB hardware to randomly access a lot of memory. I’m not surprised that a 2gb/s device (optane) can replace a 60gb/s device (RAM) without that much performance loss when accessing TBs of mem.

2TB of mem needs 64 slots of 32gb dimms. That’s a lot.

In any case, I think we can agree on this: Optane is fucking confusing.

1 Like

The idea with Optane (Or Xpoint?) was supposed to be much lower latency, and much higher durability.
This would mean great cache drives that could be thrashed over and over, potentially, but Intel doesn’t seem to rate their drives with that high an endurance .
They only seem to be bringing this in now with the NVDmms, relegating their temporary small optane sticks into a redundant stop gap.
The 900p drives do seem better, but carry a suitably higher price tag.

Hi @Delnith , I do wonder if you should get an extra 16GB of DDR3 for your current machine and let a little time pass. During this time you could have your fingers crossed that RAM prices go down (along with the rest of the planet), and also the focus of your future computer needs might become more apparent? If you’re thinking of 3D rendering you will no doubt know that the more cores the better. If you’re just 3D modelling, your current CPU would be good enough.

Do keep us in the loop, be interesting to know what you eventually go for :+1:

1 Like

And Optane has its own special problems.