1600x vs 4790k

Upgrade for slightly better performance or pass?

I’d wait.

The 4790K, especially when overclocked, is still very capable.

Zen+ and CoffeeLake (wide availability) will happen by Feb. Wait for those

2 Likes

Depends on what you’re doing now and if you’re held back by the CPU currently. I had a 4690K (same cores but no hyperthreading) overclocked to 4.5 GHz and was held back by it in games like the latest in the Battlefield series. Now I picked the R7 1700, but out of the box without overclocking the 1600X is faster in games.

Depends on what you do with it. All around the 1600X is faster (2 more cores and 4 more threads) but the 4790K should still be faster in games and kinda close when it comes to rendering (makes up some ground with the higher clocks). My suggestion is also to not upgrade and, if you’re not satisfied with the performance, overclock it and tune it as best as you can. To be honest I would hold on to it even for a couple of years to come. I’m the kind of person that goes all out once and hold on to the investment for as much as he can.
Also keeping it would allow you to save up some more to maybe even get a 1700/8700/8700K or equivalent refresh of those CPUs.

1 Like

I have had the 4790k, went to an overclocked 1600 and the performance boost was definately there in the applications that I use (cinema4d).

Since then I have upgraded to the 1700 (oc’d) and will not be looking back :smiley:

Gaming wise (between the 4790k and 1600) the difference wasn’t even noticeable to me (full disclosure… that is nothing more than a perception test ), but as long as you arent on a really high end gpu (1080 and above) you would never really notice anyway.

I did run a couple of benches between the systems (batman, tomb raider etc) but the numbers were high enough that I was always in freesync range that I would never really notice anything either way.

cinebench

Here is a pic with my cinebench runs on both the 4790k and the ryzen 1700

1600 was at 3.7ghz on stock cooler.

intel cpu was oc’d on a h80i (forget the frequency it states… its LYING it was 4.7ghz)

and that the 1700 is on the stock cooler ONLY set to 3.7ghz

one day (if I can be bothered) I will slap the h80i back on it and crank it up to 3.9 or 4ghz (if its attainable, it’s not always a guarantee) and get an extra 150 (ish) points out of it… getting me nigh on DOUBLE the rendering performance of the 4790k for bargain basement prices (comparably I mean… :smiley:slight_smile:

If you are happy with the 4790k then stick… it was only my 3d application that I use that made me go all MOAR CORES!

…biggest annoyance from the switch was re buying ram :smiley:

1 Like

Massive humongous pass…

I went from a 4790k to a 1700x.
Once I overclocked it, there’s not much of a gaming loss, but a whole bunch more PCI lanes available.
Your mileage may vary, but if you just use your pc to game, you ‘re fine where you are

@Eagle_88 these kind topics with very little detailed information about certain workloads, and why you think you should upgrade or why not.
Is very hard for anyone to give a decent and valuable opinion on your question.

We would really appreciate that next time you make a topic like this,
that your provide some more information.
That way we could help you a bit easier.

For the rest i think that @MetalizeYourBrain pretty much nailed it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes