~$1600 Fallout 4/Gaming PC

Hey everyone! Just as the title states, I'm looking to build a computer, primarily for Fallout 4, that is around the $1600 price point, preferably with a black/blue color. So, as I assume no further introduction is needed, I may as well get right into the important details.

Bethesda's recommended hardware here

Budget: ~$1600-$1650
Where do you live: The United States.
Is there a retailer you prefer? Generally, no. I plan on ordering parts online.
Do you need or already have peripherals? (this can add to costs)
What will you be using your Glorious computer for? Gaming, specifically Fallout 4 :D.
Do you overclock or want to get into overclocking? Perhaps in the future, but it can wait.
Do you plan on going for custom water-cooling now, or in the future? No. This is my first build, so I'm keeping it moderately simple.
Operating System. Do you need a new one? Yep! I plan on getting Windows 10.

And since I'm going to be playing games...

What kind of settings do you like or what FPS do you want to play at? I suppose max settings, at around 40-60 FPS I guess
What resolution will you be playing at? //or would like to play at: While unrealistic, I'd love to play at 4k, but 1440p/1080p is fine.
What kind of games do you like to play? I see myself playing Fallout 4/older Fallout games, and other FPS games as well
What specific game will you be playing (if you really only play one): Take a wild guess... That's right, Fallout 4 :D!

What kind of keyboard do you prefer? Mechanical, scissor, membrane, etc.: While I've never used an actual Mechanical keyboard, I could see myself liking Cherry MX Red switches
What size monitor are you looking for, and what resolution? I guess anything from 21.5 inch to 23 inch. I see 1080p being the most reasonable resolution given my budget. As for more screen type, I really don't know much of anything about this. Whatever would work best for the given price will work for me I suppose.

So, now that all of that is out of the way, here's what I had in mind. I'll try to evaluate why I chose each part if I see it's needed.
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rj6FVn
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rj6FVn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($282.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($67.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($489.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($71.10 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor ($131.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE Wired Gaming Keyboard ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1632.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

The CPU- This is the CPU Bethesda actually recommended for FO4, so I don't see it causing me any problems.
Memory/Ram- I mean, this RAM is just plain sexy. If it becomes essential I swap it out for something else, I'm fine with that.
HDD: WD drives are incredibly reliable (or so I've heard), and the Caviar Black seems ideal.
SSD: I figure that an SSD is near essential for this build, so I chose a Samsung EVO 850 120 gb one, to store Windows 10/Fallout 4 on.
GPU: The EVGA GTX 980 should be fantastic for Fallout 4 if I'm not mistaken, so I see it as more than ideal for this build
Case: I simply love the Corsair 450D, in its looks and reliable Corsair name.
Optical Drive: I have Fallout 1-3+NV all on disc from the Fallout Anthology, so unless I'm missing something, I think this would be a good move.
Keyboard: Although it strays away from the color scheme, I see this being a fantastic keyboard, especially with it's Cherry MX Red switches.

So, that's about it. If there is any way I should improve this build while still keeping it in my range, please feel free to leave your comments and suggestions! Thanks!

You should probably go skylake, so maybe start here, the build includes an IPS 4k display, but it's on the smaller side so scaling could be an issue depending on how close/far it is from you, I included it mainly because of it's price relative to the 1440p IPS displays close to it, might as well make the jump, there's still some room as well for a Fury GPU over the 390

Or you can get a 1080p 144Hz free-sync display instead, but that's mostly worth it if you're into competitive games

That's also quite a lot to be spending on a keyboard
-
-

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KNmhQ7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KNmhQ7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Directron)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus H170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($103.75 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.64 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB SOC Video Card ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill HIVE 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.53 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer K242HQKbmjdp 60Hz 23.6" Monitor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1309.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-02 21:15 EST-0500

While I really have considered Skylake, I feel that build is filled with sacrifices, especially with the CPU being more costly than the GPU. Really, I just want to stick a PC built on an EVGA GTX 980, as I know it would be a solid GPU, inside of a Corsair 450D, with a Black/blue color scheme.

I hate to sound as biased as I probably am, but with a $1600 price range, I'm not certain I'm asking too much, am I? Also, I do agree that squeezing a better monitor in there would be a fine idea, given the resolutions I'd like to be playing at, but only if it's not sacrificing the core of the build. Thanks for taking the time to input though :)

It's built for performance per dollar, but overall a Fury is going to be a better option than the 980, especially if you get an adaptive sync monitor in the future as you'll save money with free-sync over G-sync, and you have to overclock the 980 to keep up with the non X Fury

It's certainly worth it to go skylake over the last gen CPUs now since the prices are much closer, and you'll have the newer tech to go with it such as USB 3.1 type C on the motherboard

the GPU is on sale atm I believe, and it just happens to be the least expensive 390,

Meh if you're gonna go with the Skylake i7 might as well just go X99 with a 5820K. OC will make it just as fast in game plus 6 core. It is a better value IMO.
Also Gameworks title. Should probably go nVidia.

Also Gameworks title. Should probably go nVidia

Eh, it shouldn't end up like another project cars, since all the consoles run AMD hardware, besides in every other game the Fury has a slight lead for the most part, and it should grow with driver improvements

Ehh I wouldn't be so sure.

TBH I would just wait until release and see what hardware it runs best on.

Well, thanks for the input guys :). I'll definitely consider skylake and an AMD card, but my gut is telling me that I'll end up going nvidia in the end. If any other suggestions could be made, I'd be appreciative :)

hitachi has the best record for spinning rust drives when it comes to long term failure rates.

no one really needs a 100$ keyboard. better to put the money towards a better system.

you might want to go 250 gb on the ssd since it's only 20$ more for twice the size. having your games on a SSD greatly reduces loading time. your board supports m.2 so make sure you get a m.2 compatible ssd.

according to intel your i 7 can only use max 1600 clock speed ram so might wanna go kingston hyperxfury instead of running the corsair at a slower xmp and save some cash.

and street guru is right about skylake being the better buy. cost for performance value his build is better, but i would throw in a SSD, get a slightly better case, a quieter notctua fan, and spend a bit more on a bigger screen with the remaining 300$.

hope this post makes your life better.

Thanks a ton for the educated input man :D! I really do appreciate it. Now, here made a few modifications to possibly better suit my needs performance and budget wise (Went with the 250gb SSD, and I'll be able to get an HDD some time down the road. I also suppose it will be best to get a 1440p monitor, so I added that in)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4BhwBm

Clearly, your knowledge of computer parts surpasses mine, so if there's any way you see to make the said build better whilst still keeping the GPU/Case, I'd be happy to hear it. Thanks!

I like the build you put together (i'm getting almost the same one if intel solves their delivery problems here in the netherlands). Keep in mind that if you're gonna buy a os you could go for windows 8. It's often cheaper and has a free update to windows 10.

So guys, how's this for a build? It sacrifices getting i7 and an HDD, but it also allows me to go with a 1440p monitor. Is it better than my initial build? Thanks!

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/black-friday-sales/90683/2

700$ 6700k g1gaming7 and 3000mhz ddr4
Also when taking video game specification recommendations into account the hardware that is quote recommended unquote is not the hardware listed to maximize all settings to ultra at 60 fps it is generally hardware that will get you high settings not completely maxed out settings

I got myself one of these and cant be happier
AMH A399U UHD 39.5" 3840X2160 16:9 4K LED Monitor 60Hz DP1.2 HDMI2.0 Non-Glass was $420ish
The newer revision is out already tho

I started a fallout4 4k thread.
Mainly we talk smack and talk about what hardware it'll take maybe
https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/fallout-4-4k-speculation/90515/91

Exactly, which is why I put in a 980, rather the GPU they recommended, as I basically know the 980 would outperform the recommended 780, so long as I'm not mistaken. Honestly, unless I can visibly see a difference, I'll probably just stick with 1440p, unless I somehow manage to get a 4K monitor in my budget.

That being said, how is this build for 1440p Fallout 4? Any suggestions for it? Thanks!

What about 2 graphics cards... What about 3 graphics cards!

fallout is using gameworks, so better off with an nvidia gpu

sorry someone already said that.

Do you Need a DVD drive?
And win 10?
It's free if you've already got windows
The only thing that really puzzles me at the moment is why they suggested and i7 for recommended CPU
What worries me is the possibility of it running better on 8 threads instead of 4
That's why I'm going to wait until November 10th to see how it actually runs on my computer before freaking out and buying all my new parts

So far my general plan is to wait until after November 10th
In order to get concrete evidence of weather for thread or 8 thread makes any discernible difference
but try to find keep an eye out on good Black Friday deals
And at the same time wait for the new graphics card generations come out in January or February

One of the things I am most curious about is if there is any noticeable difference from the old Samsung SSD which reads at 550 megabytes per second to running Windows off of the new Samsung SSD which can read up to 2500 megabytes per second
One would assume you would be able to very noticeably tell the difference on a 5 x speed difference but that might not be the case in snappiness

My 2 cents: I would go with the 6600k and use the savings to bump up the RAM or spend a little more on a GPU. GPU is more important in gaming performance than a CPU. I just recently upgraded to a 6600k with Crossfire 290s and it runs great. From a lot of the benchmarks I see online the difference between an 6600k and 6700k is a few FPS in most games.

I've got my 6600k OC'd to 4.7 Ghz using a Evo 212 cooler. I play all games on max settings and my Valley benchmark score is 4200. CPUs aren't as important in gaming as they use to be. If you do rendering or do other CPU intensive tasks then spring for the better CPU but for gaming, most quad cores will do just fine.

Tiger Direct has a 6600k for $270 US. Everywhere else I saw it was over $300.
I buy most of my PC components from Amazon but I have Prime. But I'll buy parts from where ever they are cheapest.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9788453&CatId=11861

the game comes out in 7 days and waiting a week or so isnt that big of a deal is it?

also your case does not come with any fans, so i recommend you buy 2-5 case fans. they generally run 10-30$ each.
noctua is great if you want quiet + best cooling

I've been considering waiting the week, and actually just may. As far as the Corsair 350D not having fans included, I actually think you may be misinformed, as based off Linus's unboxing of it, it actually does appear to have fans.