1500 mhz in linux?

so after installing slackware in my ryzen 1700 x370 taichi, I did cat /proc/cpuinfo. it is telling me all my cores are at 1550. I got this clocked in the bios @ 3900. So how does linux slow down my cpu cores?

When you run that command it shows you the current clock speed not the maximum possible. If your system load is low, the CPU will be running at a lower clock speed at a lower voltage to preserve power.

Run a stress test (e.g. stress) to see for yourself :wink:

2 Likes

Also worth nothing what cpu governor your kernel is using.

Usually set to dynamically scale with demand so it won't work harder than it has to.

but this of course can be changed; recompile a kernel to go hard all the time.

@comfreak So are you saying that linux is operating my cpu cores just like I did a p-state overclock that had #3 p-state set at 1550? That is actually kinda cool. Stress ? Never heard of it... I will have to see if there is a package for slackware for this. Probably a slackbuild if nothing else.

@Dynamic_Gravity I have never compiled a kernel before... Although now that i think about this... I bet kernel compiling would be a great cpu stress test, kinda like stress on cpu-z on windows.

Yes, indeed :smiley:

It might not be the best tool for stress testing but it is a quick tool to create some system load for things like this. The reason why I mentioned it is that you can find it on most systems through the package manager (Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora and FreeBSD have it) and it's a quick and rather light-weight install.

I downloaded the package and installed it this morning. Have to play with it when I get home,,, had to get to work...

LOL I fixed it in the bios... the Cool/Quiet setting I disabled.