1500 CHF (~1200$) PC for a friend

Hi everyone

I am building a PC for a friend. I have some components but I am not sure If they are the best performance for the price.

I am from Switzerland and I will be buying locally mostly from digitec.ch

His budget is 1500 CHF max. (about 1200$)
List as it is (Everything can be replaced.)

Case: Sharkoon TG5 RGB
MB: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x 8GB
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, M.2
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS 6G
PSU: ??

List on digitec.ch here

Alternative shopping on other sites safes about 80 CHF. Making the system about 1380 CHF as it is.

While I haven’t looked up the prices for the specific parts, here are a few recommendations:

CPU: I’d pick a Ryzen, probably 2600(X) if it is used for gaming alone. That being said, a 2700(X) is also nice.
RAM: Make sure it’s on the mainboard’s vendor QVL list.
HDD: I think the best price/byte ratio is currently found on 4TB disks.
GPU: Personally, I prefer AMD. A RX 590 offers good performance, while a Vega 56 is more potent and offers more tinkering around potential. Also, have you thought about a GTX 1660?

PSU: Personally again, I like to over-provide, but this isn’t necessary. Do NOT try to save money when picking a PSU. Take something with gold or platinum rating. (I think 600W should suffice, but I’d pick 800W :smiley: )

So I updated the list

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
MB: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
GPU: MSI RTX 2060 VENTUS
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x, 8GB)
PSU: Corsair RM750x (750W)
SSD1: Samsung 970 EVO (250GB)
SSD2: Samsung 860 EVO (1000GB)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda (2TB)

So, Nvidia currently offers more performance for the same money? (I’m not up to date on reviews. But for me, there are features like Radeon Chill and undervolting potential I wouldn’t want to miss)

Anyway as a general recommendation: You’ll probably install the OS on your friends PC, so don’t forget that AMD’s 4XX platform offers storeMI.

I heard it the other way (at least with the 10 series), so maybe we should check the reviews?

We already picked a GPU for him in his other thread.

The 2060 wins on all accords.

2 Likes

Ah, right, noticed that thread, didn’t connect OP to that thread though.

I asked because @Janick updated the CPU but not CPU

Didn’t notice the thread, but I’m looking for it now.

1 Like

is the Ryzon 7 the better choice then the Intel i7 8700
for the price?

What is the computer for?

8700k is significantly more expensive, but you only get a slight increase in performance in specific workloads.

I would recommend sticking with the 2700x.

3 Likes

I know it’s confusing. I am consulting with my friend and I have to check everything and explain every change I make.

The PC is for Gaming mostly. (I really don’t know what he plays)

A collection of suggestions:
CPU 8700(k) or 2600x or 2700X, all three capable gaming CPUs.

Cooler: Anything that fits, Cryorig, Noctua, bequiet, etc. You do not want to have the hair-dryer experience!

Case: Read reviews for the cases you consider. You do not want to buy a rattletrap (like I did despite knowing better).

GPU: This is going to be difficult. For 1080p gaming, 1060 6gb, RX580 8GB or RX590. Higher target refresh rate will require Vega 56 or 1070(ti).
At 1440p I would recommend Vega 56 or 64, GTX 1070ti, RTX 2060 (?).
4k gaming is an entierly different story and out of budget.

Storage is personal preference, SSD is good to have.

1 Like

Then the Intel 9600k.

Finding out what he plays will allow us to give you a better recommendation.

Ok read the thread, now I’m up to date.

tl;dr: His friend wants Nvidia and a 2060 is roughly 7% faster than a Vega 56 for the same price.

1 Like

WHY, why in 2019 would you buy a CPU without hyperthreading?
I am painfully aware it does not do anything in games, but the moment you do more than just gaming (voice chat, browser, media player & game), it streamlines the experience. Problem is, nobody benches that.

1 Like

Games profit from HT or SMT too. I think HT/SMT can be seen as 1/4 of a core per core. E.g.: 8C/16T offers the same multicore performance as the same CPU with 12C/12T.

Edit: Since the friend isn’t tech savvy, I’d pick a 2600X or 2700X an not a non-X CPU.

So go for the 2700X right?

2 Likes