1440p Stealth Upgrades

1440p Stealth Upgrade

So here we go,

Here is my current build, I recently upgraded to 1440p and now I want more horsepower, but I would like to switch to something more quiet as well.

Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.4 GHz

8gb Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 MHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 FTW Edition

MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming

Corsair Obsidian 650d

Corsair Neutron GTX 120gb + 2TB 7200 RPM

Two 140mm Noctuas w/U.L.A.

Corsair Hydro H50

Start with the case, since I am going for silence I think the Fractal Design R5 will be the best choice, I will change out the stock fans with my two Noctua fans. (if its quieter)

This leads me to the CPU cooler. I have had the Corsair H50 for a year and a half almost so it’s time to get something new. I was considering a Noctua CPU cooler but Paw and Kiaxa are pushing me toward a custom loop. It will take a lot of convincing but if it offers me enough performance gain I might give it a go. The main point will be silence, I don’t overclock my CPU so I don’t need anything crazy. I’m open to options here.

Next is the graphics card, with the recent NVIDIA issue I think I’ll give AMD a try. I’m looking at the 8gb Sapphire R9 290X. If memory serves Logan did a review where he said the card is extremely quiet. I’ve looked at the benchmarks and it seems like it can handle 1440p just fine. Any comments here would be nice as well.

Need Power Supply, going to start looking for one, only requirement is silence/ modular, and enough power obviously.

One last minor thing I’m looking at is a new keyboard. I have done very little research here but basically;

• tenkeyless

• white LED backlight (ability to disable is a must)

• Black design, minimalist

• Green or Blue Switches

Just found the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i, looks solid. (Edit: this thing is poo with the blue switches)

New contender is the Code 87 with Greens

Edit: So I'm pretty sure I want the Sapphire R9 290X 8gb. It's super quiet but I think I'll need a new power supply. Which is fine because I need a modular one anyway.

Mystery Angel has suggested the Phanteks PH-TC14PE  before LINK

They are quite beautiful and perform well.

As for the case not too sure. I moved away from Mid tower cases.

For the keyboard WASD has some great one but that price LINK

Very tempted to buy that myself and retire my K70. Or hand it down to my niece.

Thanks for the links,

I like the keyboard, although I have never used Clear keycaps.

I'm looking up the noise levels and temps on the cooler.

There is also Ducky Keyboards. The Zero has white leds and all the rest. I have a Filco Ninja. No leds but real slick. 

Sure you need 8GB 290x? Especially with the 300 coming. And 8GB? But I would love one as well so i cannot talk. I have the 290. Really nice card.

Well, I don't see why I shouldn't get it. And how long of a wait are we talking for the 300 series? I'm kinda in the market now.

As for the keyboard, I think I found a winner (Code 87) but it's out of stock. :(

Excellent choice Sir. And for desert?

It will feel really nice to type in a mech, oh how i missed it.

I really have no idea but there is talk or march or was it may? If you gotta go get  a card now get the best damn 290X you can find.

I use mechanical everywhere, work and home. Can't go back.

Why did you stop?

Bad customer service and then much research to find the right one this time round.

So I'm torn, wait for 300 series from AMD and upgrade components now for silence or get everything now.

I'm probably going to need a new PSU because the R9 290x uses a lot of power so there is that to consider as well.

Also I still need to find a cooler. Help would be appreciated.

Bump?

I'd say get the 290x now because the 300 is obviously going to be new and more pricey 

as for the PSU maybe the corsair RM Series

Yeah, I think I might save a bit of money and go for just the 4gb version. I need to find out what the best 1440p GPU is.

Also I trust Corsair with the PSU's. Gotta finalize my decision on a GPU before I dedicate to a PSU.

yeah unless your running games with LOTS of custom textures 4GB is TOTALLY enough for any amount of 1440p gaming

Yeah, I think I have picked out just about every part. I think I know what cooler I'm gonna go with but I'll explore some other options just to be sure.