12Gb SAS and the Silverstone RM41-H08 4U Rackmount Server Case

Hi I’m in need of some 12Gb SAS help please.

I’ve bought the short 4U Silverstone case and the extra 5 bay insert that claims to be supportive of 12Gb SAS ( SST-FS305-12G).

Now that I have them home and opened, I have looked inside at the connections they are using and there are no SAS contacts S8 through to S14. I’m now confused because I thought S8 → S14 was the extra data path to make them 12Gb. Am I wrong or what gives?

Edit;
Second edit; apparently it will not affect the speed as the second Tx/Rx pair are already within the contacts which are present in the data contacts. The ‘port B’ section is really meant for connection other devices over SAS.

Panic averted, it’s amazing what a bit of sleep will do aye! :wink:

Here are some words from 3M that explains that both sets of data paths are all within the 7 pin data block of the connector;

"3M SAS Connector components are designed on a 1.27 mm (0.05”) in-line contact pitch and are
recognized in three different segments. The first segment is the primary signal portion. SAS signals
have been condensed into a very simple seven contact format. 3M SAS Signal Connectors rely on
two differential pairs (four contacts), which are surrounded and separated by three ground contacts
(G-SS-G-SS-G). The two pairs serve as the transmit (Tx) and receive (Rx) contacts while the three
grounds also function as the EMLB contacts making the 3M SAS Connector hot pluggable. "

3M Ref: https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/398703O/3mtm-serial-attached-scsi-sas-connectors-sales-sheet.pdfPreformatted textAdd images

I would also suspect that the bays will accept and run with 12G capable SAS drives, but that they would only run single channel at max 6G.

Please update your results as and when, if you do use them.

Also, do you have drives capable of flooding over 6G of data?
I was thinking of half duplex SATA drives that max out at 6G.

why only half speed?

This design you don’t have redundant path, but the path is still 12g. 2x 12g channels vs 1 6g?

Looking to rackmount my desktop and convert it to a NAS. How are you liking this setup so far?

It’s a very short 4U to build in and I think it’s overpriced. Here in Australia, it’s $439aud which is about $312usd. There are only 5 hot-swap bays on the right side of the case and if you want to go more the Silverstone options are again pricey for the two options that they sell for the 3 empty 5.25" bays on the left of the case.

I don’t think I’d do another build in one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 273 days. New replies are no longer allowed.