12+ sata port mobo

Hey guys,

This is my first post on the forums, though I have been following tek syndicate on youtube for a long time now. I loved the video that was done about the awesome Asrock Avoton mini itx motherboard with 12 sata ports and am very tempted to get it. However I am a massive fan of AMD and would like to get a board that supports the AM3+ socket instead, such as the FX8320e. Does anybody know any AM3+ boards that have 12+ onboard sata connections?

I don't care if they are sata2 or sata3 ports, as my hdds are not going to exceed sata2 bandwidth limits, but I don't know if I may hit a controller limit on the board (is there such a thing)?

I don't want to use PCI slots to add more sata ports as this usually means you can't then perform operations like secure-erase through hdparm. They also usually split the bandwidth across the ports, so only 2 out of 4 ports can operate at full capacity etc.

This server not only acts as my fileserver, but also as a KVM hypervisor, hence the desire to get a processor with slightly more processing grunt, but it's still going to be on 24/7/365, so going for the "e" edition of the processor.

Ideally the mobo should be full ATX size but not a requirement.

ASUS preferred if possible

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Progger

Unfortunatly, it will probably not gonne happen for AMD AM3+

Only AMD opteron server boards.

The most you can get on an AM3/+ board is eight. I think Opteron compatible boards can have more, but you'd of course need an Opteron for that.

Supermicro H8SM-L7F

6x SATA2 + 8x SAS 6Gb/s = 14 possible drives total.

Works with Opterons, but will probably also work with FX since it has the same 942 socket.

ECC-support, IPMI,++++

Thanks guys, I think that confirms that the intel board really is the perfect board for my niche in the market when I consider price and UK availability as well.

@wiemerimer can you link any of those 8 port mobos you mentioned? I may just put the OS on a stick and run 8 drives. Unfortunately LVM RAID 10 requires multiples of 4, even though RAID10 spec itself does not.