10Gbit switch for home use ... it's still a mess!

So, the main reason I wanted more than 4 ports was because I would loose one of them for the uplink to my gigabit switch. But I might have found something here:

The low end one of these four is fanless and would combine gigabit and 10G in one device. I’m looking for the catch but haven’t found one yet. Am I missing something?

Only four 10G ports the rest is 1G and you still need to buy 4x SPF+/RJ45. I thought you needed more than 4 10G ports. But if you only need 4x 10G …

So we’re doing a 180-degree turnover on the requirements …

4x 10G SPF+. 24x 1G RJ45.
TP-LINK T1700G-28TQ (V3) and 4x SPF+ 10GBase-T Transceiver…

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/smart-switch/t1700g-28tq/

Fanless Design for Silent Operation

The T1700G-28TQ utilizes a fanless design, which reduces the amount of ambient noise in your office. Removing the fan also reduces power consumption and helps you build a more cost-effective network.

Pros: Inexpensive, seems solid, 4 x 10GbE SFP+ uplinks, quiet (fanless), has readable documentation, does what I need.

Cons: Web interface is a tad clumsy, not fully intuitive. I couldn’t get some features like AAA radius authentication to function as expected, though everything seems to be entered correctly. Same backend works fine for my wireless access points. I packet sniffed the link to the radius server and it appears the switch isn’t even trying to talk to it. Be prepared to do some trial-n-error with this device if you want to do more with it than basic switching.

Overall Review: There are two versions of this switch, mine came as a V1 with the 1.0.2 image installed. I did manage to find the 1.0.3 firmware on the Canadian web portal. No firmware available on the US web portal–a little disconcerting.

Bottom line… If you need 10GbE uplinks (more than two) on a budget, this unit may fit the bill. I haven’t pushed this device real hard yet, so it may have some performance issues I’m yet to discover. So far, so good. I have three 10GbE servers connected to it with about a dozen 1GbE clients and all is well. It would be nice to have all the fancy features work out-of-the-box, but it appears this may take more work and most of those features are just nice-to-have but not critical. Basic switching does seem to work fine.

I recommend this switch simply for the price if you need the four 10GbE ports. You can spend a lot more for just that with other brands. If you can live with only 2 10GbE ports, you have other options for this price range.

The main feature of this switch is being able to stack them. I wasn’t looking for this feature as 24 1GbE ports is gobs for my small lab. With that in mind, I can’t say anything about having multiples of this switch connected together. It may work; it may not. I do know this switch works standalone as advertised.

The SFP+ to RJ45 adapters have been sketchy in my experience. They are technically out of spec for 10GBase-T because SFP+ Is underpowered for it.

1 Like

Not really. But, well I can’t get around the fact that what I want just doesn’t exist. A silent 10Gbit RJ45 (native, not SFP+ with doodads) switch with enough ports isn’t a thing, regardless of price. So it’s gonna be SFP+ with doodads for now.

Currently I am running a netgear gigabit 16x switch and of those ports only about 10 are in use. So honestly, 24x gigabit is way more than I need. Half of that would probably be fine but that also doesn’t exist. So … ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think I saw that TP-Link but some comment on amazon was like ‘it’s kinda loud’. Must have been one of those things where they put a dozen different things on one page…

Yeah, now that I look at it, that seems to be pretty much a direct competitor to the Zyxel.
Gonna read a bit more.

Thanks. :+1:

Well, that would suck. :slightly_frowning_face: I mean if there’s no other option I could get some SFP+ cards for my server and SSD NAS but nothing I can do about my Taichi X470 Ultimates.

Is that depending on cable length?

This would be cheaper if it allows you to use a single Edgeswitch XG16.

I don’t know. I only had one experience with it and didn’t do extensive testing, but my throughout was less and it didn’t function at all with jumbo frames enabled. I only did enough testing to isolate the issue to the adapter. I was using the mikrotik one which afaik is the least expensive option.

You have specific requirements. And the market just doesn’t exist. It will probably take a few years before 10G takes the place of 1G. The main problem is still the power consumption by the 10G chip and thus the heat release and the final price.

The presence of fans is dictated by the heat generated by 10G. It’s hard to get around this. Yes, as feasible as in the case of MikroTik or typical 1G with 10G uplink ports. But it is still not cheap or especially efficient. And soho is currently not particularly interested in 10G yet.

Maybe look at US-XG-6POE …

(4) 100 Mbps or 1/2.5/5/10G RJ45 Ports
(2) 1/10G SFP+ Ethernet Ports

1 Like

Wish they made an Edgemax version of those without POE for <$400.

1 Like

With that one I would still have to use a secondary switch for my gigabit stuff. The TP-Link and Zyxel ones would be a one stop solution. Also those are a lot less money, even with four SFP+ to RJ45 doodads.

I think the TP-Link is worth a shot. That plus two adapters is about 350,- bucks.
With that I can check throughput and decide.

It looks like this tplink will be closest to your needs and the cheapest. That 8 port mikrotik is also cheap but after adding modules and the fact that you would have a bottleneck between the new and the old switch will not make sense, so tplink will be a better choice for the moment, unless a better offer is found.

1 Like

Would be nice. :wink:

1 Like

I currently use the 8port buffalo switch for my home network and have for about 2 years now. It’s been a solid performer, no downtime. You claim it’s loud, I’d have to disagree but I guess people have different noise tolerances.

If it were too loud you could change the fans. Though I suspect doing so could cause a fault, a kind of rpm warning fault. Which I actually ran into on mine about 6 months back, dust collection was slowing my buffalo’s fan speed and caused a little red warning light. Switch had no adverse effects, just the red warning light. A nice hard blow on the fans to clear the dust fixed the problem for now.

1 Like

I claim it’s not silent. Which is a fact given the fans. But yeah, my systems are all very low noise indeed.

Timestamped:

I’m watching it now…