10GB read speeds, not so great write speeds

I wouldn’t bother, instead shut both systems down and wait for them to cool down (cold heatsinks) then boot them both up and run the test immediately. Wouldn’t heat up too much in 90 seconds. Just to rule out thermal issues.

I have had a fan on them before, doesn’t change anything.

1 Like

I don’t see any firmware updates anywhere on the net for the Intel X540 T2

I will get back to you when i have tested a fresh install of Windows on the problem machine, and also, tried each system out with a third Xeon PC to see if i get the same results, using RAMDisks of course.

So, I got a drive and stuck FreeNas on it and powered up the Threadripper system.

Results from the previous Windows 10 system, ‘Threadripper as server’.

Results on the same Threadripper system, but using FreeNas.

So yes, it is indeed the OS/config or something or other that is causing the issue. Might try a fresh install of Windows. If that fails, I will get rid of the Threadripper system entirely, and replace it with another Intel.

Why is it showing a single 4.81 Gbits/sec run, when the final overall is 9.47?

Bidirectional test, with a lot more data. The speeds I expected to see in the Windows OS.

So … you just confirmed that the hardware is fine … and now you want to get rid of it?

I don’t yet know if it is going to run fine on Windows. I know it runs fine on FreeNas. Plus iv’e wanted to upgrade for a while now, perfect time.

So it’s an intermittent fault. Have you tried replacing the cable? What type of cable and how long are they? Cat5, Cat5e, 5m, 50m. Try a short and shielded Cat6a cable like this http://archive.vn/1deGF as they are properly rated for 10GbE.

Was 1472 the maximum MTU you could successfully run?