1080p Gaming in 2017 (GTX780 replacement) - new psu 2021

Hello guys,

as my brother’s Msi GTX780 died yesterday (Artifacts on desktop, during video gameplay, error code 43 in device manager), I’m looking for a replacement for him.

The rest rig parameters are:

I am looking for price/performance replacement for 1080p gaming (no plans to update lcd any time soon; anyway I’ve heard somewhere 4k definitely, 1440p possibly gaming is waste of money).
We’re fans of green team, although not against red strictly.

Could you recommend something? I think the cpu still is and will be, correct me if I’m wrong, capable for next 2-3 years, and shouldn’t really be a bottleneck,
From my research it seems, that GTX1060 with good cooler might be an option. Btw, wasn’t it gtx1060 with vram memory issues - less then declared available?

Even the gtx1070, which might be overkill.
We’re looking for something a little bit futureproof - to serve mentioned 2-3years (then I expect the cpu to be slow anyway). Not extremely tight on budget, but don’t want to waste money on unused performance capability.

Sidenote:
Is there any way to test the system thoroughly?
This gtx780 from MSI has died twice in 2n1/2 years. First after half year, got refurbished replacement, yesterday again.
I tried swapping it for card from my system, and it seems fried. My card work in brother’s pc, his not in mine, and vice versa.
I would like to avoid situation of buying new card, possibly dying in next year.
The PSU should be solid, Seasonic 850W Gold rated.

Thanks for the input.

1 Like

That was the Gtx 970, which only had 3.5GB of the 4GB that ran at full speed. It was a 3.5GB card for all intensive purposes.

I would recommend an RX 580 8GB, with a Gtx 1060 6GB as a secondary choice. If you want to go overkill in hopes of longevity, than Gtx 1070 is your only option at the current moment in time. Really for 1080p though, I'd stick with the RX 580. Its a good card that will hopefully last you a couple years at 1080p.

3 Likes

Yeah, a 580 is what you want. I still like my Fury but the RX580 is close in performance and has twice the VRAM. For 1080p gaming it will last a couple years and looking at how optimizations in software are always pushing AMD cards further than their green counter parts....

RX580. Definitely.

3 Likes

Either GTX1060 or RX 580.
As AMD GPUs tend to age much better than their nvidia counterparts, I would advice to go with the RX 580.

2 Likes

If you want something cheaper than the 580, I'd go with the 570. In my mind, the 1050ti doesn't make sense unless you have space or power limitations and the 1060 3GB typically costs closer to the 4GB 580 than the 570.

On a slightly unrelated note, I don't like that so many 580s require a 6-pin and an 8-pin when a single 8 pin would work just fine.

Do note that pricing changes with region and month, so buy whatever has the best sale or promotion.

They upped the tdp of the core from 120 watts on the 480 to 180 watts on the 580. The spec for the 6 pin power connector is 75 watts, and the 8 pin has a 150 watt tdp. They can run above spec, but its better to spread the load so its not running higher than spec permits. Keep in mind that the core only has had the 60 watt bump, so the memory and other board components are not included in this tdp. Most 580's only draw 40-50 watts through the pcie slot at a maximum, as the incident with 480's at launch over-drawing power through the slot has AMD keeping slot usage at a minimum. Total power usage for a 580 is roughly 200-220 watts depending on the card, and higher if its overclocked.

... The 480 had a TDP of 150 watts and a 6-pin cut that really close leading to low-end mobos shutting down. The actual power draw of the 580 is barely more than the 480 (175 watt average if memory and hypothesis serve). For the entire board it's less than 200 watts. A single 8-pin can easily provide the ~120W (maybe ~130 peak) the GPU requires letting the PCIe slot power everything else. You can potentially shove 150 watts through a 6-pin and 300 watts through an 8-pin, but that produces enough heat to start melting the plastic part of the connector used on low-end parts. If you look in to ln2 overclocking you can find people running Fury Xs at 600 watts up off of two 8-pin connectors.

And I've been somewhat mistaken. All of the material I've seen featured multi-pin connectors, but a quick Newegg search found several with only a single connector.

The RX 480 had a board power listed as 150W, the RX 580 as 185W per AMD.

The PCIe specifications list up to 75W from PCIe slot, additional 75W from the 6-pin connector, and 150W from the 8-pin, for a total of 300W. Can mix and match as well.

An RX 580 technically shouldn't use a single 6-pin to be within spec, but there's no doubt some manufacturers are/will do that. A single 8-pin would be fine though since it would have 40W of headroom. Dual 8-pins would be a little overkill with the 190W of headroom and all.

I thought the GTX 780 would still make a great 1080p card...

It would if it didn't die.

4 Likes

RX570/580 is your best bet.

the 1060 3gb is barely faster than the 57 the 580 is just as fast in DX11 as the 1060 6gb, and is faster in DX12/Vulkan.

I mean if you wanna do machine learning or use G-Sync go green, but otherwise I think AMD is the better bet for you.

2 Likes

gtx780 was just fine, if didn't die

Guys, just being curious, why is the RX580 8GB > gtx1060 6GB?
I've checked couple benchmarks and sometimes wins one then another by a few frames.
The pricing is very similar (RX 580 is actually pricier than gtx1060;)

Currently I'm looking on Sapphire Oc LE RX580 8GB vs EVGA GTX1060 SC 6GB.
Also, if the money weren't issue, do you think the GTX1070 would be worth it? Without upgrading lcd or cpu in next 3 years, definitely. Or is it waste of money.

1 Like

Because radeon performance actually improves more with later drivers than geforce performance. Also AMD has pretty decent linux support, even the open driver works very well. Plus 2 gigs more VRAM but that isn't really important.

I would say no. 1080p is not a problem today in any game on very high to ultra settings or whatever they call it and won't be a problem in most games on high settings for years. The 1070 performs better by quite a lot but without a way of enjoying higher resolution or higher fps I don't think you would see a big benefit.

Also... LCDs die. Not saying that it will happen but it could. So if you are forced to look at new monitors, you might be able to afford a freesync one but (from what I assume) you probably would not want to pay big premium for g-sync.

1 Like

Thanks guy,
we've ordered Sapphire RX 580 LE (http://sapphirenitro.sapphiretech.com/en/580-LE.html).

The card arrives on monday. If you had any questions (e.g about fps in that or that game), feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer those.

2 Likes

Hello guys,

Card has arrived.
I've completely uninstalled Nvidia drivers, reboot and installed Crimson drivers.
Then any game didn't wanted to started. Gta V complaining about missing directx9. Csgo started process, but didn't actually launch.

On steam site, I found advice to: "Verify game files of a game".
This trigerred Directx installation after next csgo launch (weird?).

Gta works again, but fps are little low ~35fps @1080p

Do you have an idea, what shall I check?

Card seem to work fine, but. It didn't complain before neither. The game simply wouldn't start without any error mesage. I'm wondering, whether there's still somethng missing, what doesn't complain, rather crashes without warning.

That isn't right and your FPS seems very low.

Did you use DDU to uninstall? What are your clock speeds and temps under load?

1 Like

Never heard about ddu.
I'm going to check temps and cores, what is the alternative ov Evga PrecisionX, in amd world? (some tool to measure those).

Interestingly, lowering details levels in gta caused almost none difference to fps.
Something doesn't seem right bere.

You can still use Precision X but MSI Afterburner is my preferred tool. Had a nice in game overlay to monitor all temperatures, usage and clockspeed. OpenHardwareMonitor is nice too

Yeah download and run DDU. Completely uninstall your AMD drivers with it and then run it for nVidia. When switching vendors you really need to make sure the drivers are completely gone or else it can cause issues. Just uninstalling using control panel isn't enough.

Yeah the latter points to a driver issue

1 Like

Yeah make sure that you have uninstalled the previous driver properly.

Did you change anything in the driver? Is maybe some crazy setting going on like supersampling or something?

Is your steam library separate from your OS? Or in other words: Would it be a huge thing to nuke the system and do a fresh install?