1070 not detected in BIOS, PCI-e bus reports card at 0x

Hi Guys,

Just picked up a 1070 for a little gaming fun, no signal and not detected in device manager. When looking at PCI-e bus in the bios, it says card in slot 1 is at 0x, when I change to second PCI-e slot, same result. Put the 970 back in and it works fine, tried everything I can find DMI ASPM support etc, still no joy (frustration sets in).

Grabbed a new Z97 as it’s the most likely root cause, well new… as it’s probably been in storage for a while :wink: and… same symptoms Throw the 970 back in and it works, try an old AMD 7750 and it’s fine. Seller seems on the level, good feedback, only described fault was one of the fans was noisy, clearly due to the wonky application of the Zotac badge, increasing wear on the bushed bearing (GPU manufacturers note, put your badges on straight it’ll save you RMA costs)

I’m going to test it in a friends machine later, will feedback for reference as a few folks in the intawebs seem to have gone through this, generally resolved by changing motherboard … grrr

Any ideas welcome

Cheers

2 Likes

sounds to me like it might be a BIOS/UEFI issue. Try upgrading or maybe even downgrading the firmware and see if anything changes

1 Like

Alternatively, if you’re very tenacious about keeping the board (or can’t email/exchange anymore) then you can order the physical BIOS chip off of eBay for your board. I’ve had that fix a problem once. they cost a few bucks at most. I suppose it’s sort of like an extreme version of my first reply

Did you try to reset the BIOS, just to be sure it’s not just acting? Also it’s really weird that one GPU doesen’t work and all the others you tried work. Might be the GPU that’s flawed in some ways.