1060 vs 480

2 Likes

If anyone wants a great GPU in Germany, I would keep an eye on this:

http://www.caseking.de/sapphire-radeon-r9-fury-nitro-tri-x-oc-4096-mb-hbm-gcsp-133.html

I already own that card and I don't plan to CF. But for many people that might be the best long term deal if they want to buy right now.

Vulcan and DX 12 are going forward, You have to find out which card will give you more in the future. On older titles they both do great, but which card has the tech and support to make the games that will come out next year.
It is a crap shoot does Vulcan become what it should or will it be DX 12 or both. either way I think AMD will be the better card for the long run.

Most AAA game titles are coming from console ports and all the consoles are AMD hardware. and the new consoles that will be coming, will most likely be AMD. All those games will most likely not have nvidia gameworks on them, and be optimised to run on AMD. And the game developers will have to look at what will be cheaper to make a game on Vulcan or DX 12, or a game with Gameworks
This is just be trying to predict the future with the info that is out there, and personal preference.
Have a day

im going to get an aftermarket 480 over then 1060 for a couple reasons.

it going to be cheaper then a stock 1060 and much cheaper then a aftermarket one because i will never buy stock.

the performance of the nvidia cards tends to get worse with time while the amd cards get better.

nvidia now requires a log in with personal information to use the "nvidia experience" which is basically blaotware. i dont need 11 separate nvidia programs running 24/7 on my pc. i dont want to give them any information.

down the road when my pc needs more graphics power im more likely to look at cf 480's then selling my card and buying a new one. amd's master plan is supposed to be improving the scalability of using multiple gpus so you can use several cheaper ones to beat the more expensive super gpu while keeping cost down. maybe this is just a rumor, but it makes sense to me and even if that isnt their masterplan, 2xstock 480's beat the 1080 in one game, so even if it looses in most it games, it will only be by a small amount and it's cheaper and i can get one 480 now and a second in months or years. saving for a 1080 will take a while.

I think everyone (reviewers/press) is getting over-excited about the new cards.

Here's the thing - I have a GTX980 - and the 'benchmarks' show the 1070 about 10 - 15% faster. BUT - in real world terms thats what? 5 - 15 fps more depending on the game and if its dx11, dx12 openGL or vulkan

What they are not testing - or at least taking into account is that I overclocked the living crap out of my card (running at 1618Mhz) and I beat the 1070 in nearly all the benchmarks ive seen.

I understand them doing it on the RX 480 since it had abysmal reference blower style cooling, on a 1060 it's an overkill, but fun project nonetheless.

I am still waiting on AMD improving on the R9 390 drivers under Linux. They did the R9 380 drivers but not 390?

380/X is Tonga, 390 is Hawaii

From a few benchmarks I've seen, frames per second per dollar have varied on who's the winner in a few places, but at least as far as running in Linux goes, the 1060 seems the clear value winner. The main caveat for linux users with the 1060 is the lack of open source drivers right now, while the RX 480 got open source linux drivers day one.

(main source:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nv-linux-gtx1060&num=6)

Exactly. I'm so bored of seeing these Team Green vs Team Red vs Team Blue fanboy threads that over-analyze which new toy gets 2 fps more in a synthetic benchmark. What I am looking forward to is the day when DX12 Explicit Multi-adapter is mature. I won't ever use SLI again (burn me once). I will get an AMD card to pair with my Nvidia card. That way I get the best of both worlds.

The Nvidia GPU can do the stuff it is good at like PhysX and WaveWorks, while the AMD card can handle Asynchronous Compute and Vulkan titles it currrently has an advantage at. At any given time one team will be winning. I want to see both teams working together.

Then Everybody Wins!

4 Likes

RX 480 better at mining Daggerhashimot (Ethereum)
1060 (should be) better at mining Lyra2REv2 (Vert & Monacoin)

Just thought I'd throw that one in there :)

The new driver is still in beta...When it is fully released it will support it as far as i know

The 1060 us faster almost completely across the board in DX11. The 480 is equal or slightly better in DX12/vulkan. That much we know.

DX11 is in the phase where engines will start shipping with both 11 and 12 and then transition to 12 primarily. It will be 2 years or so I figure before 12 is the standard.

No back to the first part. 1060 is over all better right now. In the vast majority of cases since the 7000/200 series AMDs drivers start reasonably good and by the end have effectively gained a performance level above where they started. 270's swinging for 270x's or even day one 280's.

This has shown to be a reasonably reliable improvement. If you up grade a card on tge cheap every year then a 1060 is the one for you, good now and next year they might have worked out how DX12 and Vulkan works and have a card that can use them. If you buy a card with the intention of using it for 2 or more years then the 480 is the safer bet it will almost certainly improve to above the 1060 over its life time.

Just up to you how you do your upgrades.

1 Like

In regards to being upset that they removed SLI well when I buy video cards I usually buy two and they are for my son's pc ad my pc and I would like the option when he is not on his pc to put his video card in my pc and have some SLI fun. Also I would like to do the same for him when he games. A card like the GTX 1060 in the past would have always had the SLI feature but no Nvidia can't let people have nice things. It is upsetting. Also in regards to Vulkan and DX 12 they are not significant enough now for me to care what these things will do. Oh and as for wanting to go AMD I just can't do it ... becuz ... well PhysX. Sorry AMD.

Ok that Paul's Hardware video was really well done. I have seen the guy many times before but not really doing his thing. After that review I definitely will be watching more of what he offers in videos in the future. I think he really nailed it on the head with everything he said about the GTX 1060 and RX 480.

Hey Hardware Canucks too wasn't bad at all either.

I think Tech of Tomorrow could still be better but whatever. I like his music and how relaxed he is with his videos so I have watched him before but not much lately.

With this all said it is nice to know I can watch some quality videos that are not LTT which I no longer watch due to personal reasons.

I didn't filter my search to 8GB RX 480 cards if you look at the links I provided, so where do you see a card for 229? Certainly not a price reachable for me.

I know that it's possible for the display manufacturer to tune the variable range and compensate better for low frame-rates but purely looking at the standard, GSync delivers a better experience whereas using free-sync varies on a display to display basis. Sure you can get a display with a good free-sync implementation, a high variable range and low frame-rate compensations and so on but that's not defined by the standard.
Although I would love to if everyone would just combine their standard and all displayes wanting to support variable refresh rates support that, if it is called free-sync or GSync or whatever, currently I just prefer GSync.

When you buy into nvidia Gsync, you are part of the reason why the free standard isn't the only one. You are spending money to remain in nvidias walled garden while complaining about it.

So you don't see it now and therefore it has never existed?
Alternate, Mindfactory and many others had a bunch of 4GB cards for 229,- / 239,- at day one.
Of course those are gone now, the 4GB to 8GB hack made them disappear in no time.
Just wait for the custom cards.

I've been going back and forth on this for awhile now and I can't make up my mind. On one hand I still have to play the Witcher 3 and replay Shadow Of Mordor from the beginning after buying it on steam and abandoning my pirated copy. So both of those titles favor nvidia so I'm not sure if I should just stick with my 60hz monitor and just be content or get a freesync monitor and get a 480. I'm not buying anything in the immediate future but I know a gsync monitor is out of my price range so it's either 480/freesync 1080p/144hz or 1060 keep my current monitor then I guess get a regular 144hz monitor or maybe a 1440p/60hz panel and just be patient and not play witcher3 or mordor until I do that. Already beat the main DOOM campaign but would like to play it again and any campaign dlc that comes out in freesync glory along with hoping that some other vulkan games come out that I really want to play so I have no idea which route to take. I keep seeing posts on reddit about flickering issues with freesync monitors at 144hz so that was a bit disconcerting. Basically I keep looking at the red path and the green and can't come to a decision. I need to choose wisely because I don't plan on upgrading for at least another 3 years this time.

Also have it in mind...IF you go for a 1440 monitor you will not get 60+ FPS with any of these cards for many games. At least not reliably. Thus a 144hz panel will not be that useful to you.

Also do not worry about the witcher or shadow of mordor for 1080p. You get fine FPS even with the 480.

You should have in mind future games more that past games. If you find good Vulkan support as a good potential for future games go for the 480. If not then go for the nvidia...