$1000 limit on new gaming rig - recommendations pls!

I think your suggestions are also valid - the 5700G does allow you to do the build and then hold out for an RX 7600 XT this autumn. I actually think the autumn releases this year will be a different beast than the 6xxxx series, though I do expect you to pay 30-50% more for each tier of graphics cards. That would land the 7600 at $400 and 7600 XT at $450.

As you say, ultimately up to the OP if they want to break the bank now, or wait a few months on an iGPU. I would break the bank personally but there is merit to, say, pay for a $800 system with an iGPU, a better case, PSU and cooling solution, and then save those $200 to buy a really nice GPU come Black Friday… :slight_smile:

WAITTTTTTT

Rumor has it the next gen APUs are going to be really good.

If you wait, you can either get an APU with like 1050ti level graphics in it or get the 5700g with is like a mobile 1050. This will allow you to buy proper components for the rest of your case, and save some to buy a GPU once the market crashes/ intel starts putting in supply.

Either that or you can go around Facebook or other places looking for a used card, but if you don’t know what to look for it’s easy to get skrewed.

1 Like

AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600X Prozessor

€ 216,90

MSI B550-A PRO, Mainboard

€ 129,90

Corsair DIMM 32 GB DDR4-3200 Kit, Arbeitsspeicher

€ 124,90

SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1 TB, SSD

€ 195,90

be quiet! Dark Rock 4, CPU-Kühler

€ 66,90

be quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W, PC-Netzteil

€ 107,90

What would you Guys change. Budget also about 900-1000€ GPU and case are not needed.
Also for 1440p Gaming and will Be Running Ubuntu

1 Like

Rumor also has it that next gen APUs are on the AM5 platform… Atleast on the desktop side.

If we get any desktop 6xxx series, it most probably will be System Integrators only just like the 4xxx series. Even then, those are like 6 months away, at the very least. But why would AMD keep investing in the AM4 platform when the AM5 platform is about to be released? I hear rumors all 7xxx Ryzens will have APUs, although that could’ve been referring to the 6xxx series.

Right now a 5700G is the most performant APU on the market, and the AM4 has reached the final train station with the 5800X3D, as far as regular people are concerned. You’ll still need to upgrade motherboard, CPU and RAM once AM5 rolls around, even though it will be glorious. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is essentially going to be a paper-launch as well, or at least it will seem like it with how little stock there will be since AMD is using all of their 3D cache chiplets on their EPYC lineup (and smartly so). I think that the whole point of the 5800X3D was to try and stop AM4 users from jumping ship to Alder Lake. And it seems to have worked for the most part.

Also I agree with the 6000-series APUs being well over 6 months from release, let alone available in stock on store shelves. We are so far off from release that it just doesn’t make any sense to bring them into the conversation right now.

Try to keep the discussion to parts recommendations rather than speculation on what might come out when and when prices might get better

These are reasons why many people don’t have GPUs because tech reviewers said MSRP 20 series was t a great value

The best PC is the one you have.
Life’s short enjoy it while you got it

4 Likes

Hmm, yes, a few comments - it is technically rude to hijack like this but this contributes to the discussion so I’ll respond, geizhalz.eu cheapest prices:

Part model price alternative price comment
CPU Ryzen 5600X €216,90 Ryzen 5700G €295,00 Better with an 8 core
Cooler Dark Rock 4 €66,90 Pure Rock 2 €35,00 150 TDP enough
Mobo MSI B550-A Pro €129,90 B550M Pro-VDH WiFi €93.58 B550M with bluetooth
RAM Corsair 2x16 GB €124,90 G.Skill 2x16 €114,00 Shaves €10
Storage 980 Pro 1TB €195,90 Crucial P2 1TB €79,91 Shaves €115
PSU Be Quiet! 750W €107,90 FD Ion 750W €78 Non-modular, noisier
Total €842,40 €695,49

I assume you already have a GPU, otherwise most priceworthy 1440p GPU right now is a 6600 XT for €519 and up. That would cost ~1200-1300€ total with the alternative parts above.

1 Like

I appreciate everyone that’s replied! You’re right - I should have mentioned more within my initial post but, to be honest - I wasn’t fully aware of what I should be asking, so I threq a half-baked question out there.
The clarity on whats possible with only 1K did shed new light for me on what to consider, for technical questions and price.
I can expand the budget more to $1,500 so it should help with purchasing a decent GPU.

3 Likes

Again, if you can wait, I’d wait until the start of summer. GPU prices should hopefully be more reasonable by then.

3 Likes

Thank you for this! It will help now since the budget now is $1,500 , leaving more room for a better GPU.

This is a really terrible time to buy a GPU. While you have the right idea, the sad fact is that moderately-priced GPUs are over-priced-and-not-that-good. For perspective, a $600 RX 6600XT is only slightly better than $200 GPUs from a couple of years ago.

It will work, but it is not a good use of a limited budget. If you can tolerate waiting, things will eventually get better.

IMHO, GPUs are mostly a scam anyway. Sure they are tiny supercomputers and they crunch a fantastic amount of numbers, but they are not important to making a fun game. Many games from ten years ago are better than most modern games (think Freelancer or Mass Effect) and they will run just fine on your 5700G.

1 Like

Got it!
Is there a particular GPU you’d recommend to look out for? Preferably, AMD with a 700ish budget. Looking for 1440p gaming.

I mean my GTX 1080 still holds strong at 1440p tbh. Not max quality everything but frame rates are pretty good.

You will at minimum 8gbs or higher, but too it kinda depends on how much you prioritize Graphics quality, a targeted frame rate (ie:144htz at 1440p or 60htz) and how crafty you want to get to take your dollar as far as possible. The other thing to consider as well, is do you go mid range, and just upgrade when the next gen and or nvidia stuff comes out, or do you shoot big, spend a lot of money initially, and then wait for 4 or 5 years to buy another card. What I personally have done before mining is like buy a card on sale (rx480 and gtx 970 pre-shortages) , then use it up until right before the next gen launch, then I would sell it, wait, and use the proceeds from the sale to pay for half of the next gen card. Thats actually how I got my 1080, someone was selling it out of their HP OMEN prebuilt for cheap b/c they wanted a 1080ti. And buying one generation behind isn’t always a bad thing. Usually gives best price to perf if you can find a good used one.

2 Likes

When the current market improves, there will be new GPUs. Wait for that if you can.

There is not a single currently-available GPU that I could recommend with clear conscience. To me, a GPU should cost no more than $200-250. Anything beyond that is buying into the hoax more than paying for anything useful.

But that’s just my opinion, and there are plenty of people who would argue that spending $700 on a GPU is not entirely insane.

You can call me a contrarian on this point, but I’ve got experience with everything from laptops to CAD to real supercomputers. So it is not a naïve POV.

As BroadBandElf just said, his older GTX 1080 is fine. And that is one of the better GPUs of recent history. But you cannot currently buy those at anything resembling rational prices.

The market is just nuts right now. But it will get better.

If the money is burning a hole in your pocket, then RX 6600 (or XT) are currently best bang-for-buck, but they are triple the price of what they are worth. You get to choose. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Waiting for a good GPU is the way to go then, and like suggested, RX 6600 seems like the way to go for now.

For my own knowledge - say the new gen GPU’s come out - will it by any chance be bottle necked by the motherboard? My understanding is that it won’t since it’s a PCIE 4 port on the motherboard. Is that a good way to judge future GPU upgrades?

1 Like

Not anytime soon. Current GPUs need only PCIe Gen 3. Gen 4 is mostly for ultra-high-perfomance SSDs.

1 Like

Looks like AMD x570 has pcie 4.0, as does all the intel LGA 1700 chips

Dont forget the 6500xt XD

Its not, not really and especially not when the next generation of GPU releases at 8 or more months away. AMD is planning a refresh of the 6000 series in June with stuff like 6650, 6750, 6850, 6950. From what I can tell they have a slight bump in clock speeds and lower to similar power usage but nothing particularly stellar. Nvidia’s 4000 series is rumoured to be on track for late Q3 2022 launch but knowing Nvidia they’ll launch with the second fastest part first and charge a premium because its an improvement over the last generations top tier then gradually introduce mid range options and a premium top tier part a few months later. AMD’s 7000 line is also rumoured to coming around the same time as the Geforce 4000 stuff.

There isn’t enough real info out there to suggest the new stuff is going to be more widely available, have better pricing, will significantly outclass what you can buy new today. There is too much money in this right now to not charge as much as possible so I’d expect any significant performance improvements to have similar MSRP / Retailer markup. Its not like anything current gen will be totally outclassed by whats coming at the end of the year anyway.

This is how I’ve bought graphics cards for myself over the last 15 years. I look at my bank balance and figure out what I can afford then I go and see what I can find online / locally that matches my budget. Then I find some reviews of that exact model or similar models, I ignore most temperature and power usage figures because I don’t play video games without v-sync enabled or at least some kind of framerate cap to match my monitors refresh rate. I just want something that will comfortably go past my monitors refresh rate in the games I want to play and this gives me a hint of how well the GPU might age. The only other things I consider is noise levels and specific issues like GDDR6X that you’d find on some GPU’s can run very hot so I want to know that’s dealt with properly. That is it, that is all you have to do to find the right GPU.

1 Like

Agree, though don’t forget to account for inflation - $250 is $350-$400 in todays market due to chip shortages. Prices higher than that though, yeah definitely getting scalped.

Well, yeah, kinda, not really. Problem with waiting 6 months is that you miss out on gaming between now and 6 months. Could you get a similar performance GPU in 6 months for $100 less than you would pay for today? Yes, probably. But every month you wait, the card will keep losing relative performance. Are you really better off waiting for 2 years to buy a 3080 for $500 when two months later you could get a 4070 (~5% better) for $400?

Now don’t get me wrong, waiting is good, too. But you won’t be able to play modern AAA on a 5700G only, for sure. As for the current market, my recommendations:

1080p gaming, get the 6600 non-xt for $400-$450 ish, and 6600 XT for $470 or so if you can find it at those prices.

1440p gaming, the 6700 XT at $900 stings, but that’s just the market right now, and it’s the best bang-for-buck that handles 1440p right now. 6600 XT works to game on 1440p but you will not get more than 70-80 FPS in most titles. If that is fine by you though, go for it!

4k, yeah, 6900 XT is the only game in town that is even remotely worth it, but at that cost you might as well buy a second PC for your girlfriend or something. :slight_smile:

PCIe 3.0 x16 and 3.0 x8 should be good enough to not bottleneck anything for the next three years, provided the card has those lanes available (looking at you, 6500XT! :angry:). In roughly three years, PCIe 5.0 should start becoming the norm, so a Mobo/RAM/CPU upgrade for $500-$700 could be well worth your money by then, and hold on to your new GPU until then.

2 Likes