100% disk usage after adding my old hdd

I put in my old secondary 2tb hdd that was in my old windows 7 pc, and now put it in my new amd ryzen system because it has all my games on it.
But after installing it, it took like 4mins to get into windows from my m2 pci ssd which woould normally take 10sec.

After opening taskmanager I saw that my hdd was being utilized 100% continiously. And it keeps doing that.

I also had the same problem when I use a usb to sata adpter to connect one of my old ssd’s.

Pc also give a blue screen after like 10mins which it normally never does.

System specs:
3700X
Gigabyte aorus pro x570
32Gb ram

Does anyone know what causes this?

this has been a bug in windows for a long time. I’ve had it on both 7 and 10. with both NVME SSD and SATA HDD.

I can’t say I’ve seen this before, as it didn’t happen to me on my latest Windows 10 build that happened like in September.

So does this happen if you disconnect all but the Boot/OS drive ?

I would also recommend going into the BIOS and load the factory defaults and save and then boot up the OS to confirm nothing out of the ordinary is beign detected.

It does not happen when I only have my Boot os drive in it. But my boot drive is PCIe so that probably works some other way. While if I connect any sata device it does the 100% thing. (SSD over sata to usb and HDD over normal sata 3)

Putting the BIOS to factory defaults worked!
Thanks for the tip.

I still don’t understand why it suddenly started acting like this out of nothing, but I’m happy I can now at least use it. :grinning:

if it happens again.

check the taskmanger what task is doing this.
if it’S not shown there check the resource monitor.

this issue usually comes from anti malware check from windows 10 or index/search engine.