10 Gbe config/tuning in PopOS and TrueNAS Scale?

Hi,
I am running TrueNAS scale on a QNAP NAS with:

1. AMD Ryzen 4 core CPU
  2. RAM : 64 gigs
  3. Storage: 2 x 4 TB WD NAS SSD (SATA 3)
  4. Ethernet: Intel 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+
  5. Cache: 1 TB Intel NVME - SSD

The 2 SSDs are stripped, I need performance not redudancy.

The client (Runs PopOS) has the same Intel Ethernet card as the TrueNAS server.

When I run iperf3 I get a nice report:

[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  11.6 GBytes  9.93 Gbits/sec   13             sender
[  5]   0.00-10.04  sec  11.5 GBytes  9.86 Gbits/sec                  receiver

But… when I copy a 30 GB video file from server to client I get just 300 MB/sec.

Shouldn’t 2 stripped SSDs go higher than that in performance?? I was expecting something like 600 MB/sec.

Both server and client have MTU = 9000 and I copy/pasted this tuneup (I found online) on each machines /etc/sysctl.conf:

# allow testing with buffers up to 64MB 
net.core.rmem_max = 67108864 
net.core.wmem_max = 67108864 
# increase Linux autotuning TCP buffer limit to 32MB
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 33554432
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 65536 33554432
# recommended default congestion control is htcp 
net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control=htcp
# recommended for hosts with jumbo frames enabled
net.ipv4.tcp_mtu_probing=1
# recommended to enable 'fair queueing'
net.core.default_qdisc = fq
2 Likes

Does the computer connecting to your NAS have two striped SSDs as well?

Have you looked at CPU utilization on both computers? Make sure you look at individual cores (not all CPU capacity - that can be misleading).

I suspect that your setup is bottlenecked either on the storage performance on the other (non-NAS) side, or on one of the CPUs.

Hi,
The client is a PopOS system with:

1. AMD Ryzen 5950x 16 cores
  2. 128 GB ram
  3. Storage for copying to/from server Intel NVME , …660p if I remember correctly.
    So from server to client: 2 RAID 0 SSDs to 1 NVME.

I will check though on CPU load on the small QNAP. Thanks

Some possibilities.
Is the 660p mostly full? It is a QLC drive, and those do tend to drop down to 100~300MB/s when writing out to QLC.
Are you using NFS, SMB, or SSHFS? I’ve had a lot of problems with NFS locking up or limiting speeds, and SSHFS is thread bound and struggles even on my 2600x to get more than 400~500MB/s. I’ve always found Samba performs well, but it has security problems so often. Last time I tried to use it, it wouldn’t even boot a server because “working is currently too insecure, please stop using samba” basically.
Have you tried making a 48GB Ramdisk and writing to it with DD, to see if it performs better?

I tried a different approach. Ditched the QNAP and made a new config.
The new server is a Supermicro X10 Mobo with a 6 core Xeon 2620 and 64 GB of RAM. The Intel 10 Gbe NIC card is mounted on a PCIe 3.0 X8 slot.

Pool 1 (fastPool) : 2 x 4 TB SSDs WD NAS. Stripped
Pool 2 (slowPool): 4 x 4 TB HDDs Iron Wolf Pro NAS. Stripped

The SSDs are connected to a SuperMicro SAS controller cause I didn’t have enough SATA3 cables.
All pools contain just 1 30GB file

2 SMB shares made, one each pool.
Both pools saturate at 3 Gbs/sec during copying/pasting operations.

Should I make a VLAN for the 10 Gbe PCs?
What could the bottleneck be?

Storage (could be the bottleneck).

If you run iostat -x 1 or atop whilst transferring (either server or client or both) what do you see? What’s your average queue size, or average read/write size, how many reads/writes per second, how many do you have in flight at any given point in time?

Are you perhaps not running smb3[1], but using an older protocol for some reason and/or otherwise forcing syncs or limiting parallelism and pipelinening and buffering that’s normally required at higher speeds?

[1]: there are debug flags you can pass in smb.conf that’ll log connection/request details, they’re documented on the samba website

This is atop on Client machine durying a copy from server ( Stripe SSD to nvme)

Don’t know what version of samba TrueNAs scale has but I will check.
Maybe the Intel 660p on the client isn’t fast enough … I was looking at some benchmarks, the write speed 291 MB/sec … seems like I’m getting. But on the other hand I was expecting the upload to be bigger then .

hmmm, so client storage / nvme0n1 is basically idle 80%+ of the time, it could take more of whatever it’s been doing.

can you try iotop / atop or something similar in a truenas shell?

you can probably do docker run --privileged --rm --name=temp_debug_storage_perf -it alpine /bin/sh … and then in that alpine shell, you can do apk add --no-cache atop sysstat to get atop and iostat going.

After

docker run --privileged --rm --name=temp_debug_storage_perf -it alpine /bin/sh

How do I enter the alpine shell?

-it is short for “–interactive” “–terminal” … you should just get a # prompt which is the alpine shell.

is it having issues downloading / starting the container?

docker exec -it <container_id_or_name> /bin/sh

This is what I was lookin for.
After this I am in that container shell but running

apk add --no-cache atop sysstat

, just hangs

Hello, last I heard scale has data transfer issues, last reminded about it a week or two ago by @lawrencesystems

Hmm, that tells me that something’s off with that true TrueNAS docker setup … or at least differently configured compared to regular vanilla docker. and I don’t have a TrueNAS system around to play with right now :thinking:

Alpine image comes with BusyBox that has basic network tools built in, if APK is hanging, maybe its networking is just broken… can you try pinging the alpinelinux.org ? … if not, try giving it --network=host when creating/running the alpine container.

iperf3 has also mode where it can write/read the data to/from disk (not just transfer). So you can try to run that in both directions and it should reveal where is the problem…

Either this will tell you that bottleneck is storage on one of the sytems or if this is still performing well, then bottleneck is in the software stack (probably TrueNAS Scale…)

1 Like

--file nice!

Silly question - SMB or NFS?

@felixthecat can help here I’m sure.

Your bottleneck could be the SMB protocol. You either need to run multi-channel SMB (if available) or NFS. A regular single transfer SMB will never saturate 10gb network that I have seen.

2 Likes

100% concur.

We ran a battery of tests and confirmed SMB is never going to approach the speed you’d expect. We run 25Gbps backbone.

We ran tests with NFS and it wasn’t just faster, it was magnitudes faster. SMB isn’t network friendly.

If you can use NFS instead, try it. We now use Linux running DaVinci Resolve and it kicks ass. Windows will support NFS too if Linux isn’t an option.

Sorry for late reply. Yes I use samba share but can easily try NFS since both pcs use linux (PopOS vs TrueNAS scale).
Tomorrow I will install some spare Samsung pro 980s NVMEs and test with those … one on server, one on client. Will let u know my progress

Maybe that you are running an old CPU! A DDR3 CPU 4 cores at 2600 will not be enough if you have many programs that you are running! Also, a write with SSD is not 550 write. I have 510 reads with tests, but only 170 write. A M2 with 5000 reads might do it! Or have a 4 gigabyte cache that fills up when writing to the disks!