1 Year Linux Challenge

Alright you savages… I have done 1 year on my primary PC… can I have my linux 1 year badge now? lol

I have multiple PC’s with linux on them and have just completed 1 year of my Primary gaming PC also with linux. I have mainly run Kubuntu… In fact I have enjoyed Kubuntu so much that I have switched a couple of my other PC’s over to Kubuntu. I have my Dell USFF’s that run the TV screen in my living room and on the TV in my PC room running it as well (more power for the higher bit rate stuff than the Google TV with Chromecast can handle). I have always been an Ubuntu person with my first being Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. I had tried manjaro and the like very early on, but I just end up back at Ubuntu or their derivatives. My download PC is usually either Lubuntu or Xubuntu.

I guess because I have used linux for a while the year was quite easy to do and I ended up knocking up a VM on the primary PC with a 960 passthrough so i could run windows 11 with some games.

What I have been thinking about however in the past week is switch back to windows 11 entirely on my primary PC. Not because i am over linux or its problematic, etc… I think i am just bored with my entire life in linux at the moment. I kinda am feeling an itch for something different… an itch for Windows? lol

1 Like

Congratulations! I have granted you the one year badge.

3 Likes

@TeckMonster

I havent been posting in here, but I am one week away from completing 1 year linux challenge. I had 0 windows use since october of 2021 and just recently decided to dual boot windows.

Here is my blog keeping track of my progress.

I started october 1st of 2021 but only began posting on forum about it in November. So I dont know if I have to go from when i started recording progress or from Oct. 1st?

Just fyi, I only installed windows a week ago because I had a real bad bug in minecraft java that wasnt present a month or so ago. So since last week I have been on dual boot.

2 Likes

I have just started my Linux road trip albeit 1-month-old now…

Running Pop_OS! on a brand new Tuxedo laptop, and with the exception of work-related stuff (the company is a Windows shop) that is running in a VM, rest of my workflow is running on Linux and using open source software.

Let’s see how I’m going to bungle things up!!

5 Likes

I have completed the 1 year challenge.

8 Likes

Linux1yearcakeday

3 Likes

Going on my second year full time on first Pop for LTS, then Fedora. Never going back.

It’s been an interesting ride though with Nvidia drivers (more of an issue) and having to stick with X11 (less of an issue).

Looking Glass and the QEMU/KVM/Libvirt trio is the bomb for any other software that won’t run on Linux.

5 Likes

Hi everyone,
I’ll take the challenge (even though I started yesterday without knowing it’s existence).
I am new here but a long time casual Linux user, I started with Ubuntu Gusty Gibbon back in 2008…
I never managed to keep Linux as my daily for long: because of the lack of support for MS Office I would always setup a dual boot, and after a while of being tired of rebooting, I would set the Windows disk or partition as primary boot and slowly abandon Linux.
Though, having dived in the “Proper” Homelabing rabbit hole (I have also being tinkering for a while in my cave without actually knowing I wasn’t alone…), I got to slowly get back to the Linux world and really liked PopOs; @wendell video on seamless Office in Linux was enlightening (holy grade) and convinced me to hop the fence for good, so here I am…
In that regard, this video is probably the greatest contribution to weakening the Linux bullet-proof-glass-ceiling ever.
Btw, sorry if my English isn’t perfect, I’m French.

4 Likes

Haven’t booted win much at all this year, I don’t remember when I did it last. It will probably try to upgrade to 11 if I do lol.

Still running mostly Ubuntu flavours, i like the options. The Xanmod kernel has been very good to me, that’s how I got my Ryzen APU stable a couple of years back. It was a bit troublesome until there were some much needed kernel patches.

1 Like

I don’t know if I ever replied to this thread and I wish I had noted the exact day in 2015 when I took up this challenge… But suffice to say, I’m still using Linux full time to this day and it’s got better and better as the years have passed. I had to sacrifice a good portion of my games library back in the day, but now I don’t think I’m missing any games thanks to Valve and proton especially.

I think I originally moved to Ubuntu then tried Debian for a while and experimented with Arch through Antergos and Manjaro. Eventually I followed one of GloriousEggRoll’s guides and did my own custom install of Arch. I have since done that on my laptop too. It’s very satisfying doing things from scratch and it really helped me fix any issues that crop up from time to time.

If you’re on the fence, take up the challenge, you might surprise yourself.

3 Likes

I didn’t now about this challenge!

Is it possible to get the badge “retrospectively”? :slight_smile:

I used(?) to be a Windows guy, but when my laptop died mid last year and decided to build a proper PC, and hated the idea to pay a dime to Microsoft.

I decided to go with OpenSuSE on my daily driver PC, as the place I work at is a huge SuSE shop, and I was eager to learn something new while constantly feeling the pain. And oh boy it was (and still) a real roller coaster.

Proof from my PC :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not sure if I should or can start, I built my first machine and am trying out Fedora KDE spinbut have yet to move everything over from my old windows machine and work as well as the Surface pro that I use as a resource/relax while doing work are both running windows and can’t be doing anything fancy to cheat that.

After a few attempts with Fedora back in the 2000s (it was unusable), since 2012 maybe I pretty much daily drive Linux. I settled on Ubuntu and Manjaro, for the rpi I use DietPi. I seldom boot to Windows, maybe for (very occasional) gaming. Although I’ve been using pcsx2 lately, which I ran on Ubuntu.

At work I almost exclusively use Linux. I managed to run the few necessary Windows applications through Wine. Never really used Photoshop (but Gimp), and LibreOffice has been getting much better. I never got round to asking for an MS Office (or MS 365, which they probably rebranded this way to brag about how many days per year people pay them) license.

So my first year with Linux as daily driver is complete - that went fast. And the verdict is - I am staying with it this time unlike previous attempts. I realise the Linux landscape is now vastly different to when I tried to do this 8-10 years ago and switched back to Windows.

For the few Windows apps I need I manage between wine and vrt-tools. Emulation and virtualisation is more mature and Windows only applications are now easier to run under Linux. All in all I have now lost all desire to go back to Windows on my main machine and comfortable doing everything I need to do. Strong dislike of where Windows and proprietary applications are heading (as a service) is enough motivation to stay the course.

Where to next - I need to spend a bit of time and get more comfortable with some of the core utilities. But for now, I am glad I can get by without Windows.

6 Likes

Good to hear, congrats.

Personally I have no windows-only applications left anymore (well, besides games obviously), at this point I found alternatives for pretty much everything.

There’s one exception and that’s Mp3tag, but only in edge cases where I need the scripting abilities. I’ve re-done my entire music collection using Picard in the last couple months and it’s been great, but there’s some things Picard isn’t designed to do so I’ll have to continue using Mp3tag for those, but it’s probably gonna be a one-time-thing.

2 Likes

Thank you. Still need some Windows utilities because there is no good substitute. Winbox for Mikrotik devices is one such utility. Also I use Windows version of the TightVNC viewer because all the Linux native VNC clients suck with clipboard support and Tight encoding for x11vnc. I still use Google Sketchup 8 because it just so simple to use. I haven’t found a simple substitute for that as well.

1 Like

ditto please :smiling_face: a few years and counting, lotsa distro’s and happy too!

1 Like

I just looked back in the thread for me 2015, Dam … Could not make me do a 1 year windows challenge ever.

Happy New year and install linux 2023 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wait you can get badges for doing this?

Because I did do this

1 Like

Just hit year 3 on my daily driver.

Switched in 2020 when Win7 hit EOL, and never going back…

edit: did someone say badges?

5 Likes