1 Year Linux Challenge

Visual Studio is available for linux. I don’t know since when. I don’t program. :stuck_out_tongue:

Visual Studio Code is “just” a text editor. It’s quite extensible with all the addons, but it’s not VS IDE that’s on Windows. That being said, VS IDE is bloated crap (IMO) and VS Code is much better EVEN though it’s a fucking electron app.

The only reason to use VS IDE is to be able to do Windows UWP programs and/or XAML based UI.

Well I guess Unreal Engine 4 and Unity also integrate it well.

1 Like

Oooo. lol.

Ignore what i said @Shambles :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

It’s going fine. I did accidentally nuke my OS, so I had to reinstall, and there were some odd audio issues that seemed to have gone away. Still having to use Windows for games is annoying, but I’m sure that won’t be a big deal soon enough.

Overall I’m liking it, but I’m still having growing pains every once in a while.

1 Like

git good, read man. :wink:

3 Likes

Well, I definitely posted here over a year ago :wink:

1 Like

Been years mainly Linux user. Only thing that has been keeping multibooting are games (and Fusion 360).
1st day of this year i decided finally get rid of ms-crap and removed last multibooting configuration. Last Windows machine in house is my wifes workstation and she is already thinking to follow me in this challenge. :smiley:

5 Likes

Why not use Atom?

Day one. I switched from Windows 7 to Linux Mint 18.3. I tried 19.1 twice and messed it up trying to install plasma. Two tries with 18.3 and I am there. Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 and got the KDE Plasma desktop working great for now.
Day 3. I got everything I need switched to linux except thunderbird. Games I’ll worry about after I rebuild my rig. My old EVGA X58 3680 Xeon is still stable as a rock after 9 years. It is just time for more horsepower. Handbrake is way faster on linux than windows.

4 Likes

It’s nice to see this challenge is still alive and well. Seems crazy to me now looking back that I had to challenge myself to kick over to Linux as a main user. (before I mainly just used it for servers)

However, for those looking to get involved don’t think that you have to stop using Windows or Mac OS (or even BSD). I still use Windows day to day for gaming, although most of my life is spent in Linux these days.

So good luck to anyone else who wishes to get involved.

3 Likes

I just wish there was an easy solution for temp monitoring for cpu. I have tried different things and I can’t get the sensors to work with my 2700x.

1 Like

I have decide to take the challenge of using Linux for a year. I’ve always just dabbled with Linux here and there. But never really learned it, if your know what I mean. Whilst in school(2006) it was covered briefly and I’ve used it to play around with Fedora over the years. Anyway I’ll be using Ubuntu(VM) over the next year so I’ll post updates or questions periodically.

7 Likes

Good luck bro!

3 Likes

Thanks.

2 Likes

I have begin in earnest last night.

will report back on 4/13/2020

even if I have been using Ubuntu for 3 years

3 Likes

New linux member enrolls here!

I will be back at 12/04/2020

5 Likes

Don’t you mean 2020 :wink:

2 Likes

Yes i ment that!

2 Likes

OpenSuse is a pretty cool distro. I never gave it a chance, before.

1 Like

I’m surprised I haven’t posted in here. Started my own challenge late last year around November or so.

5 Likes