1 Year Linux Challenge

thanks TekSmile,
you are right, I use Cinnamon.
but when I say tools and app I mean tools to flash the phone to custom ROM , stuff like that.
for the most part I can get the things like pictures and other data in and out of the phone but mounting it as usb data store. it works well 99% of the time.

but for phone jailbreaking , custom rom flashing recovery tools. very little exists that work on Linux natively and have a nice GUI

Oh I didnā€™t catch you on that, yes most if not all tools i know are CLI based.

donā€™t I know :slight_smile:
and using Wine is not an option as most tools simply not work with Wine properly.

From my experience Fedora is horrible. Manjaro Linux (Nice as hell), ArchLinux (Awesome too) and then you have Debian (Decent Nooby Dist).

I gave you three good choices there and if you need some help with terminal commands then you just download a nice cheat sheet and youā€™re good to go.

and github is youā€™re friend for fixes.

Also donā€™t focus on GUI on stuff just use the terminal and a good one atleast according to me is guake.

Does it still count if I have been using Linux for over a year? I started out using Ubuntu, moved to Arch, then Gentoo, Fedora for about half a year, and now Iā€™m on OpenSuse tumbleweed, and I think I will stay here for the foreseeable future.

4 Likes

Yep. And good choices by the way.

My only problem so far with OpenSUSE is that YAST doesnā€™t work in Wayland without running

xhost +SI:localuser:root

It works fine after that, but itā€™s just slightly inconvenient. I do love the fact that YAST has an SMB GUI.

1 Like

Maybe post your problem in The small linux problem thread

I wouldnā€™t have thought to put it there, I already have a solution, but then again, if anyone else has this problem, it would be of help to them, thanks for the idea @Goalkeeper.

1 Like

While itā€™s not exactly a primary rig, Iā€™ve decided to invest in a modern laptop since NewEgg had a sale on the ASUS ZenBook 3 Deluxe UX490UA, and my every intention was to wipe the SSD clean and install linux.

Considering itā€™s easier for me to do this with a laptop than a desktop due to my needs (Windows 8.1 being the latest version of Windows Iā€™m willing to use), I can essentially learn anywhere I want with the laptop on hand.

So Iā€™ve chosen Fedora 27, and this isnā€™t my first adventure with linux, but I am by no means an expert. Iā€™ve used Ubuntu in the past and many times had opted for OpenSuse, and some slight experience in Debian.

So far Iā€™m very well pleased with how well things work out of the box, other than having to do some tweaks to get the volume control to work on the ZenBook.

Desktop environments, Iā€™ve usually really like KDE, but Iā€™ve been starting to really favor Gnome a lot these days. (Funny though, considering many years ago I didnā€™t care for it, and here I am practically loving it.).

Though my next choice of DE would be XFCE, because I could customize it and make my system identical to Windows 3.1 GUI. Which honestly is the OS I grew up on, and I still love the appearance.

Another one that I would love to use, because Iā€™m really into retro computers and operating systems, is the MaXX Interactive Desktop, which is based on the old IRIX unix operating system back in the day when SGI was really big into the workstation industry. Screenshot here: https://twitter.com/ReeseRiverson/status/960581251244572672

Though it doesnā€™t seem ready for primary use, but I canā€™t help but love it still.

In the end though, Iā€™m really wanting to at least push onward and use this machine for linux for a long time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think openbox, motif, fluxbox, or JWM would be able to that as well. Motif looks almost exactly what you want.

Also, congrats on making the switch back. And I hope you do use linux for a long time.

1 Like

Wait, a samba gui?

I agree with everything you said,
My favorite about Debian is the net installer (or any distro with a net installer) where i can pretty much install anything that i want from the installer like gnome to kde, and 6 other desktops. You can just run the terminal, but for me I just simply use i3wm and XFCE.

I am happy. and it uses nothing, its one of my favorites and I can never leave Linux because of the choices that i can have.

Hi All,

This is more of a hello post more than anything. First time posting on the Level1Techs forum - first time posting on a non-gaming forum actually inā€¦ not sure how many years :stuck_out_tongue:

Been watching L1T for a while now. Love the weekly news show. Appreciate all the helpful, yet somehow still kind and down-to-earth videos. Sorry for the rambling excessive gushing (/Ļ‰ļ¼¼)

Anyway, Windows is what brought me here. Today, Win10 finally tricked me into accepting the update itā€™s been bugging me about for the last few months (not sure if I was just tired after work or what, but I feel like it switched the position of the cancel and accept buttons on me). That was basically the last straw. Gonna take on the 1-Year Linux Challenge.

The various options seem really daunting (as Iā€™m sure it must be for lots of Linux beginners). I can tell I have a lotta reading to do. At the same time, I can already tell itā€™s probably more reading than I have the patience for, so Iā€™ll probably end up rolling the dice, picking one that seems okay, and just diving in. Specifically, Iā€™m going to try installing Linux on a spare Win7 ultrabook I have via one of those Linux USB thumbdrive installers I skimmed through in the Distro Guide thread. After that itā€™ll be time to convert the Win10 desktop (6700K+Geforce 970). And finally a new Ryzen machine later this year.

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll have tons of annoying questions to ask, so hello and apologies in advance :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Might be a stupid question. but why didnā€™t I get new 1YLC badge?

It says only 8 people have it? While thereā€™s 107 users who completed it.

1 Like

PM a Mod. @MisteryAngel and or @Eden

Oh, itā€™s a manual processā€¦ nvm then.

Yeah those badges are given manually by us.
If users just pm a mod, they will get the badge if they accomplish the challange.

Anyways i gave you the badge, so you should have yours now. :wink:

1 Like

Hello,
found the older nick in the list. I amrobridinghood (what a poopy name lol) I have been on linux exclusively for 2ā€¦ years now or something. You may add another one to the completed pile. distro: openSuse Leap.

Cheers

edit: pls no badges:)

1 Like

You could add yourself if you would like. Scroll down post one, and in the bottom right corner their is an edit button and you can then write yourself in. Just be sure to hit the save button. :smiley:

Nice job bro! :1st_place_medal: I hope there are many more for you.

3 Likes