1 Year Linux Challenge

@Marten did you email a Linux podcast about your 1 year of Linux?

Would love to hear from the following people on their hopefully year of Linux experience. Or at least tell us how long and what your experience was like.

@Baron @BlueKoda @cbl @chokesmaster @dobby3698 @flow @Fusky @IAmEasterIsland @James_Gallier @Jody

1 Like

Also

@leipero @Leosky @LinuxMaster9 @netscaler @nfct @paeschli @pgoodjohn @Oper8tor @Senzi @skaterdude97

Finally

@Thaumiel @Thorinstone @anon46267848 @Urworstnit3m3r @Vix @wkpsfbx

Ive been 5 years Linux on my laptop. My desktop not so much since most of the stuff I do on it is still Windows only.

I did use linux a lot more than previously, though not all throughout the year, so I guess I technically failed the challenge, unless servers count.

I did use a lot of different distros, and finally ended up with the obvious choice.. Ubuntu.

Windows 10 ended up messing my computer up so I had did a reinstall of just Windows. I'm currently waiting for Ubuntu 16.04 so that I can do Linux as my main OS and run Windows in a VM with pass through.

I got Arch Running on my laptop recently. (I had to set fire to the broadcom Wi-Fi card it came with and replace with an Intel one since all of the Intel drivers are in the kernel and have been since 3.19)

So far no issues what so ever It was a tedious but rewarding experience especially since I've been using Linux for roughly 4 months. (I used Manjaro prior to Arch)

still going strong. have no intentions of turning the main system back to windows.

i do have a dual boot but rarely go into windows.

1 Like

On my desktop, it was 6 months. All was well except the awful open source and NIVIDIA drivers. Screen tearing when doing anything that involved movement, and crap performance. I sucked it up for 6 months, but I couldn't stand it anymore.
On my Surface Pro 1st gen, abut 3 hours. Install was flawless. I boot it up and use it for 10 minutes, and it hangs. It did that every time I booted it up after 10 minutes. I searched online, and there was nothing for it.

Not much has changed for me since my last post back in December 31

I am still with plain Ubuntu 15.10 and plan on keeping it that way. Still want to try Arch or any of its variants, but it's not a priority or rush for me to do so, it will come naturally.

My year has progressed like this:

• Debian with MATE
  • Ubuntu MATE (for a short period)
  • Windows 7 for GTA V (keeping Linux in another partition)
  • Switched W7 to W10 when it came out (Still keeping and using Linux as main OS)
  • Switched Ubuntu MATE to Ubuntu.

I've only used Windows when playing Fallout 4, the new Tomb Raider and XCOM 2.

Also since my last message I finally got rid of windows in my other home computers. On my father's computer I've installed an SSD and put Mint on it. He's been using it ever since without major annoyances. Also switched my sister. I did build her new computer and convinced her to switch to Linux, put Ubuntu MATE on hers and virtualbox with W7 + her GPS running software which works perfectly.

Both are working great with minimal IT support from my part.

Every day more games are supporting Linux and right now that's the only reason keeping me with Windows installed on a disk.

I've always found the *nix ecosistem much more fun and interesting. It's a joy for me everytime I want to do something new for me, the process of looking it up, learning how to do it and how it works, also learning something different along the way.

With Windows it's always the same dull experience, no rush for learning things, no fun, for me at least. I look at Linux like science and Windows as religion.

Science is more fun!

Tasks that I have in mind for the near future are:

• Learn Python for fun and to be able to do fun stuff with the Raspberriy PI's
  • Play with Unity Editor beta client for Linux and see how good it is compared to it's Windows mainstream version.
  • Learn to use Blender. This will require some time.
  • Develop an application for Linux. I've done it a few times, but always in/for Windows. I want to do it in Linux. Need to think on something useful. a recent idea was a remote control tool for helpdesk type remote assisting (related with my job).
  • Still need to buy the parts for a new and more powerful NAS with FreeNAS.
3 Likes

Xcom 2 is on Linux..

Might be time to check it out and buy it.

I dont brag to much..I do brag but.

Learning linux is like when your old man teachs you about cars well motors. The more you learn the more you know nothing. But at least you have respect.

@Jody I've found that either overiding the DM with compiz or using a distro that defaults with compiz gets rid of most of the tearing issues. I had it running on Xubuntu for a while. Unity uses it by default.

VLC use to drive me nuts with tearing. Then I found mpv.

1 Like

Wife loves my Linux build, she says Candy Crush is really fast with the gtx 770! She hates Win 10 and likes sci-fi! Happy happy happy

1 Like

Yeah I actually failed, in November I built a new computer and put windows 10 on it for gaming.
I really like Linux and hope there's a lot of Vulkan games, then I'll jump right back to it, cause win 10 is a piece of junk imo.

How many windows only games do you play?