1 Year Linux Challenge

I switched to Xubuntu three weeks ago. I'm sure I'll manage to do the full year.

I would really love to participate in this but having only a 128gb (god damn proprietary apple) ssd I don't have enough room to dual boot with my music collection taking up most of that room :( taking a external hdd around with me all day is extremely likely to end up getting bumped and wiping all of my data. I might try to free up some space and just run basic stuff off it

I never had any problems with Okular with comments and annotations to acrobat. You could use windows on Virtual Box so these little stuff can be done easily. Check it out.

That looks so cool! Good job, I couldn't run solely Linux, I've tried and I always find myself needing to do something only Windows can do.

Not possible for me at this moment. I am still running both linux and windows. Gaming is the only thing that is keeping me using the win plat. The more i use linux the more i like it.

1 Like

Yes it is.

You only need about 10GB of space for a usable system.

Go to your downloads folder and empty it out. Thats how everyone finds more space : D

I would also recommend you use Elementary OS if you are using mac hardware. I think you would find yourself more at home there.

IKR! I feel the exact same way ! :D

You're probably right. The only thing holding me back is this software called Blackboard Collaborate I need for school, as far as I'm concerned it does not have a Linux port, but I'm sure if I tried I could get it to run just fine on wine.

Is it possible to do this on a i5 3570k? This cpu does not have vt-d. What is a good alternative (if any)?

no, 3570K does not support VT-d and it is absolutely required for hardware passthrough.

@Oaken I'll need some time to prepare my system, make some clean up. Don't count me in yet, I have yet to decide which distro, I'll probably pick Debian or any of its derivatives. I'll tell you when.

This thread has bolstered my desire to do it :)

2 Likes

They brought Unity out in 11.04.

Scared me right away from Ubuntu. I'd distrohoped many to get there, and I distrohoped far more to get away. By the time I tried to settle back into Linux, they'd fixed the majority of the problems. 12.04 was when Unity became decent, 14.04 is where it became great. In my opinion at least.

Steam has over 1000 Linux games now.

I recently switched from a Hackintosh (3 Years) to Ubuntu (Unity). I tried the bleeding edge version first, but then downgraded with a re-installation to 14.04 LTS. I'm doing mainly development and Linux server administration, therefore I'm very lucky not having issues to switch a OS. Pretty much all the applications I'm using are available on all three major platforms.

The issues I had so far:

• At home my desktop computer has wireless only access to the internet: The BCM4360 of my PCI-E WiFi card isn't supported by any distro out of the box. I worked around that with bluetooth tethering (USB Dongle) using my mobile phone.

• The nVidia drivers worked quite well, but I can't really play any games as they crash the window server

• Chrome can't play back YouTube videos without tearing, which annoys me as hell: Firefox is ok, but the interface is stuttering

• The Gnome launcher is reacting too slow and laggy

• The System Error Reporting... reporting errors on every boot

• Network printer is detected and configured, but print jobs are sent to nirvana

I'm aware that those are itches that could go away investing a day or two into troubleshooting. Unfortunately I didn't have the chance yet and I'm not sure if I want to invest the time. Sooner or later I'll try other distros like OpenSuse and Arch, let's see what the result will be.

P.S. I don't have any other operating system installed.

1 Like

OpenSUSE FTW

Have you tried installing a window manager like Compiz to remove tearing? I was having issues with XFCE's lightdm (it doesn't support vsync). Once I replaced it with Compiz there was no more issues.

I would NOT recommend doing that. The window manager is not the issue, it is just a stupid bug with a fairly simple fix. No need for adding complexity with compiz. However if the bug fix does not work, then I recommend using Kubuntu instead of vanilla ubuntu. Kubuntu has the nice new plasma 5.2 desktop and it has compiz installed by default. You could just then enable full screen repaints and have a butter smooth desktop.

PLUS IT HAS WOBBLY WINDOWS XD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah I had forced my self to use unity up until 12.10 I think. but I got a new laptop from work and that was really the main reason I didn't put any version of linux back on. but thinking of going back to ubuntu desktop was probably not going to happen. I have been running openSUSE, CentOS, Lubuntu, Fadora and mint in virtual box since l got my new laptop to figure out what one I want to try and use as my main OS. but I have not had time to set up this dual boot yet.

I really, really want to. But all the video games I can't play

1 Like

I felt like the Compiz replacement was fairly easy and took much less time that going to another DE.