1 Year Linux Challenge

For about the last 6 months I have been using Linux as my personal daily driver. Use Opensuse on just about everything including servers and Raspis. My Nexus 5 now runs Sailfish which is pretty much Opensuse mobile.

I really like have the same toolsets across all devices. Since I don't play many AAA games I am fine. for photography and dev work with some Gaming Linux is fine,

I do have to use Windows on my work laptop since the sysadmins would kill me if I removed it and Industrail automation is impossible on Linux.

I run both Windows and OpenSUSE. I am liking Linux a lot but I am keeping Windows around mostly for when the WiFi card in my laptop (2012 Intel ultimate n card) decides its going to throw a fit and not work in Linux. When my WiFi isn't being a pain I use OpenSUSE as my daily

I am running dual boot Windows 7 and Linux disrtos for years now (Mint at the moment). They only reason I have windows is gaming. Since last year though I am doing half of my gaming on Linux. Between DRM-free native games, steam games and playonlinux I got there just within the last year. My taste in games helps that lot to be honest since I am an old RPG/adventure gamer that both of these genres thrive on crowd-funding and usually provide DRM-Free linux versions or are unity based that most times work pretty well in emulation. The challenge is much easier than it used to be...It soon will not even be a challenge.

I've been pondering this idea (1 year of Linux) a while now but haven't decided when to do it yet. Being a gamer, the reality is I'm currently not playing any relevant games, at least not those which require DX. (ASCII games FTW) Also I'm kind of a programmer and I think that I'll be very happy in Linux. Have been using it from time to time since late '90, so I've got a very solid foundation, I think.

I'm up for the challenge, I even thought of writing a blog about the experience. We’ll see.

What's left for me is finding the right time to switch. (No more dual-boot shenanigans)

I use linux as desktop for about one year now. I use it for work and gaming
despite the effort it takes to make it work ^^

dual monitor <3

4 Likes

Gaming is what is keeping me off Linux for now on my main rig and I don't want to dualboot. I'm thinking of reinstalling my file server (currently Server 2012 R2) to linux very soon though and maybe the laptop since I don't game on it.

1 Like

I've definitely thought about using the Linux master race in the near future. I planned to install a distribution on a laptop that I'm planning on getting, but I don't think I'm ready for the full switch, it will just be a dual boot with Windows. There's just so little applications that I need for my daily life to function, but you can bet I can take up on this challenge. Soon I'll be part of the Linux master race.

what programs do you need in your daily life? there is probably a version of it on linux , but hey dual booting is a nice way to go about it, that is how I did it ..

Film Source Maker, Ableton, and the many games that I play on Steam is what's keeping me back a little. And because I use these so often, I have to switch time and time again seems like a bit of an annoyance to me. But I definitely think I could probably get over this issue once I get alternative applications on Linux.

Does anyone here run ONLY LINUX? I just would like to know how this might of made your life better in anyway.

Is it possible to install linux on my macbook pro as a separate partition sort of like how bootcamp works for windows?

hmm, okay! yeah I use linux only but I don't game much but you could start with dual booting and @wendell is probably get into VM's in the future so everyone that want's to play on windows while on linux will be able to. but dual booting is a good start :D
EDIT : and you could make another boot for steamOS for you steam gaming needs :D

1 Like

GPU passthrough haha! it does work, AMD cards i found were easier than NVIDIA (never got working) but it is possible

2 Likes

I've used Linux in a hobbyist capacity for probably 5 years or so at this point, and I support it as a platform for home computing, programming, gaming, and servers, but I honestly feel no need to restrict myself to any particular operating system. They all have their advantages and disadvantages, and I enjoy switching between them or working with virtual machines.

I think if people really want to support Linux, working with open source projects is a good start (even simply reporting bugs in software that you find useful is great), and failing that, there are plenty of organizations and developers that would be good hands to put donations in.

That being said, if immersing yourself in Linux works out, more power to you.

Well said, restricting to one single OS doesn't make much sense. I'm going to try out linux pretty soon, but I don't want to 'abandon' windows either.

@UnholyKing And there's definitely no need to. My one tip is to install your chosen GNU/Linux distribution second so GRUB takes care of booting. Installing Windows second will overwrite GRUB with Window's really awful boot manager.

@DigitalCow I do, it didn't make my life better in anyway. For me it's the price, customizability and learning.

I run ubuntu studio distro. It come preinstalled with application like : lmms (ableton like), JACK, ardour, blender, etc.

i also use debian for home server with recycle pc ^^ ( ps: don't look the mess change in process :P )

4 Likes

I would love to give up the ghost on Windows, but every time I look at the list of Linux supported games I cry a little.

Kudos to you sir.

I have somewhat switched to linux as my main OS, yet really simple stuff such as annotating PDF (No, Ocular annotations are not very compatible with Android, Windows, OS X and so on) really make it hard to dump my Windows partitions for good.

But I respect your decision and I'm curious how it works out :D

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/ - Boot manager for Mac systems so you can do it.

2 Likes

I have been on Linux for about 3.5 years now, no machine i have runs windows and never will again.

The solid disc management and logical volume management was a major draw for me and interesting to setup, implementing basic encryption was no big deal, its nice to have some piece of mind if a common scum bag theif takes all my stuff they are not easily getting any of my data or selling my rig on ebay for someone smarter to find it later down the line. People spend a lot of time bolting up the front door ( the internet ) but forget to lock the windows at home ( pun intended )

Apart from the fact everything else is better or getting better on Linux for me, i wont write a long ramble, it just is.

edit*forgot to add.. anyone with Virtualbox installed on Windows could try some Linux distros out without rebuilding as just to get a test feel for what its like ( dont base your entire experience from them )

https://www.virtualbox.org/

^ pre built ready to go

hope that helps someone

1 Like