1 Year Linux Challenge

Yay. Badge!

3 Likes

Badge comes after write up?
There is a certain harsh taskmaster who might award badges…

(edit, not a window cover… spell check lets me down…)

1 Like

Correct, doesn’t need to be super in-depth, but the goal is to get a sort-of review.

@Whizdumb if you throw up a thread with a review, I’d be happy to assign you the badge.

Today, i was thinking about this thread, and how with the end of the years coming i shouldn’t be to far, so i just checked.

$ sudo tune2fs -l /dev/fedora/root | grep 'Filesystem created'
Filesystem created:       Wed Nov  7 22:37:40 2018

Dammit, missed it by a month !

So, to the write up i guess …
A years ago, i decided that i had enough of windows.
I never where the lucky kid when it come to OS, actually i could say my parent really didn’t want me to do IT.
You see, my first laptop when i was a kid was a Windows ME. Then i got a desktop when i was a teen, it was running Vista 64bit. A couple years later because they didn’t wanted me to get a Windows 7 licenses i upgraded to the Windows 8 Beta. Finally i moved to 8.1 When our school enrolled in Microsoft dreamspark (yay free Key !)

After all of that, i never wanted to move to Windows 10, The privacy issue, the way update are done, the multiple issue people are facing … I liked my Windows 8.1, with a couple of tweak it was the perfect OS to game on.
But with the new’s that new proc wouldn’t run on anything less than Windows 10, i decided to jump the gun.

I’m not new to GNU/Linux, i actually rented my first ubuntu server a long time ago as a teen (to bypass the wifi limit in a resort :blush:). I was very used to Debian, having a nice homelab on it, and at work we were running SUSE 11. I ended up going for Fedora because i wanted to learn the RedHat way of dooing stuff.

I got Fedora 29, with gnome, and i quickly installed KDE over it. It looked to nice ! After a couple week, i found out that it was a bit buggy (duplicate software, and stuff) so i decided to go back to gnome, and purge KDE.
I didn’t know where i messed up, but with it went X11 and all of the graphic and audio stack :face_with_raised_eyebrow::scream: It took me some time to fix it, and it never really was stable again, but it was “good enough” :wink:

Because i still wanted to play, without the tedious setup that wine/lutris looked like, and because i had a mini-itx system in the same box (was a freenas but i moved that away) I installed Windows 8.1 on that.
All my game where put on Steam, and aside from VR which i still do directly on Windows, all of my game are streamed with Steam in home streaming to my GNU/Linux desktop.:stuck_out_tongue:

I learned a lot with this move to GNU/Linux. The desktop world is far from the server one. Fuse mount, Wayland, Proprietary video codec, Gnome Windows like registry … i had a lot of issue who lead every-time to a better understanding of the OS.
3 month ago i upgraded to Fedora 31 with a clean install, and most bothering bug went away.

Would i go back to Windows ? Hell yea ! i never left it actually. For Video production (if i every go back on premier), gaming, weird and old driver for as old and weird hardware… Windows have it’s benefit and nothing is black and white.
But for my day to day OS, I’m happy with GNU/Linux. It fit my way of thinking, and i found workaround for the thing i needed.

And for my final note … because i didn’t think about it while writing
:%s/linux/GNU\/Linux/gi :troll:

OK I start again. No more Adobe needed for school. Subscription has been cancelled.

Manjaro KDE is what I have chosed.

I was going to do Ubuntu 19.10, but when I set up WoW with Lutris it had no picture and the sound would skip like every half second.

I can deal with little hiccups out of the box, but if I can’t play my games it’s a no-go.

So far Manjaro this has been running flawlessly, except for my mouse is double clicking when I try to drag. Not sure if this is a Manjaro thing or my mouse just happened to start dying the day I installed Manjaro. Gotta test other mouses. In terms of gaming it’s great. And I like the AUR.

2 Likes

Completed the Challenge.

3 Likes

Hopped back on linux, i don’t really have any complains other than PUBG not working because EAC is crap.

Current distro is Manjaro with budgie desktop with little customization done to it.

I was suprised a little that BeamNG.Drive performed better trough Proton than native windows. Thanks to proton and lutris, most games that i own does have support or work with either of those. I have few native games too.

1 Like

Cant just stay with one OS. Too many things I need pro-wise from Win10.

Everytime I “retire” a laptop/desktop I try a linux distro, and then eventually forget about it.

Latest is a fresh install of Pop! on a Lenovo Y50 and that might stay around for a while as a net browser and wordprocessor with some light games. Stationed in the shop where its useful for looking up things (Car Hobby) and just read up on stuff.

Ive been critical since my AMD64 and SuSe days, but it seems to improve at a decent pace.

Yeah, i have a dual boot for windows just specific games… nothing else is on it tho… Apex, COD are the only two that I can’t play in Linux… really wish EAC would work on Linux, i’d free up that SSD from windows and make more storage space =D

But so far, Im 15 days in to my year with Linux… I’ve tried several dists over that last 2 weeks… Ubuntu, PopOS, Manjaro… Im now on Linux Mint (Ubuntu derived). Running the Cinnamon DE… Really enjoying it… I liked Manjaro with the Cinnamon DE, but couldn’t get use to pacman…

Welcome!! I started on Mint. I put Plasma DE on it. I went through several distros, Arcolinux has over 1300 youtube vids and Erik has setup a learning path. It is Arch and does use pacman. Good Luck, and don’t be afraid to ask for help. This place is very supportive.

I’m a noob. I cant stand windows anymore, so I’m out. Downloaded Linux Mint, have %90 of the functionality i always had on windows. Linux is much snappier than windows i might add. I just need to figure out how to overclock my Vega 56 (wattman GTK is my next project). Thank you guys for everything, i probably wouldn’t have switched without this forum.

2 Likes

Hi everyone Shadowbane here, I finally built my desktop and the only operating software I have installed is Linux Mint. I originally installed Pop Os but had to destroy it because somehow I corrupted either grub or SystemD. I am not asking for help fixing Pop Os. I am posting to let everyone here know I am committed to only using Linux Mint for one year.

3 Likes

Year #3 and going strong. Now with Ryzen 3000 and 4K gaming.

1 Like

A 2 Year Linux Challenge counts?

Running Ubuntu Mate for almost 2 years now on a laptop.
And so far so good i guess.
Not encountered any major issues with it very stable.

Still i´m not fully sure if i’m going to upgrade to 20.04 LTS.
Because of the direction that Ubuntu is going in terms of snap.
So yeah will see what the future will lead me to.

2 Likes

Switching to Pop!_OS for now. Still no Windows though.

I switched to Manjaro GNOME briefly because I wasn’t really feeling KDE. But in Manjaro GNOME, I wasn’t able to get fractional scaling working (have a 4K main and 1080p secondary), so I’m on Pop now. Now my problem is every time I restart my computer, I have to re-do the scaling settings in the display menu because it doesn’t keep the settings.

But meh, whatever. I’m considering just getting a nice 1080p gaming monitor for my main and selling the 4K screen. I feel like 4K is kind of overrated anyways. I think 1440p is probably the sweet spot, but just to avoid more scaling issues I’d rather go with another 1080p screen. Plus 1440p screens seem to run around the same price as 4K, while 1080p is relatively cheap.

If you’re getting more confident with Linux stuff IMHO Fedora offers a good compromise.

It is architecturally similar to CentOS/RHEL (or rather, future versions thereof), but actually up to date :smiley:

Sure, its bleeding edge and there is blood, but generally not too much… last i heard Linus uses Fedora himself…

Or Pop! Pop! is probably less of a change coming from Ubuntu. I’ve played with it briefly on some secondary hardware but my main boxes are already on fedora and i don’t want to go through reinstalling and getting things back the way i want until i have to… :slight_smile:

Fedora is indeed one of the options i have on my radar.
I have seen how much it improved over earlier versions.
It has become allot user friendlier in terms of enabling rpm fusion,
which is a must have for getting certain packages.
Only the media codecs are a bit harder to get i believe?

Haven’t noticed? Then again i don’t do a heap of media on my box (I certainly do some though), but haven’t noticed not being able to play anything with VLC?

Not saying that hasn’t been the case in previous versions (because i didn’t really use Fedora between F7 - F26), but i haven’t really had any issues i can recall with Fedora 26-28 onwards (which is when i switched).

Fedora Workstation is not Bleeding edge, it is Cutting edge do downright stable. I cannot recall having to downgrade a package since Fedora 22, and I am currently on Fedora 31 Workstation. The occasional Nvidia driver reinstall after a kernel update is a slight inconvenience, but takes 10 to do and done !

Getting the media codec is also simple. Amajority come in with rpm fusion, or through VLC package. I have some thing that I get from the negativo17 repo like ffmpeg and cuda libs but they have a proper “multimedia package” which is also simple to install and can come in with your nvidia driver if you choose to get that from negativo17. The upgrade path has been seemless since Fedora 28. where I have had no issues or needed to regress because of broken packages or dependency. Also I wait 1-2 weeks after new release to update.

Well, i had KDE suicide itself on an update within Fedora 31 a few months ago - uninstalled it, some packages won’t uninstall because they’re broken, etc.

No, i don’t do weird stuff hacking away at the UI, this was almost 100% out of the box KDE. Several dnf updates didn’t get it back. Work machine, so i didn’t put any more than 30-40 minutes effort into it. I just switched to Gnome.

I agree its mostly stable, but it’s not like an LTS platform from Ubuntu for example.

This is the sort of thing i mean.

It’s a moving platform and stuff breaks. It’s not unstable as in crash prone, just packages break - in my recent experience.

1 Like