1 PSU 2 motherboards (systems)?

Hello, I am planning to add one more system to my setup and I would like to use the same PSU to power both.
Both systems will be servers powered 24/7 so there should be no conflicts with powering on/off. The systems will be around 200W max powered by Seasonic 650W - the power should be OK.
The question is how to split the 24 pin ATX connector. Phanteks had a PSU splitter but I can’t find it anywhere and the original price seems to be too high.
I also see there are 24pin Y splitters in amazon/aliexpress but it seems a bit worrying that I can’t find them anywhere else.
Any other suggestion how to achieve this goal? Any experience with the Y splitters from aliexpress?
Thanks in advance.

I don’t think I would trust a 24-pin splitter for something like that. I would just fork over the money for a PSU that actually has 2 24-pin already on it. There are several that are made for dual PC setups in one case.

1 Like

It’s generally not recommended to have 2 systems on a single PSU. Especially servers. Servers are part & parcel of your network, running both on a single PSU means that when (not if!) that PSU fails, both servers go down and quite possibly get fried by the failing PSU in the process. So, unless you have cash to burn on new server systems, spending a fraction of it on another decent PSU is the way forward.

2 Likes

But why though? Are you in a financial crunch? Cheap PSUs can run you about 30USD and you can get two of them in the price range that you are probably going to pay for that one SeaSonic.

With that said, I don’t recommend buy cheap PSUs and I don’t recommend playing around with electricity if you are not competent in that domain.

1 Like

That splitter block, I’d treat as a paper launch… NEVER saw a [working] retail listing

Phanteks still has the Dual System friendly PSU tho [Revolt X]
A bit pricey, but sizeable amount of power [1000W/1200W variants] and platinum rated
Are you doing one of those dual system friendly cases, for such an arrangement?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.